Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 22:19   #1

Two inverters/chargers?

I have a new to me 65 foot cruiser that has a Magnum 2812 charger/inverter. I also have as back up a Victron, I believe about 2500 watts AC, and 120 amps charge.

I have 16 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries giving me 1760 amp hours. The Magnum at 130 amps takes quite a while to charge the batteries to full charge.
I was hopeful that I could connect these 2 units so they can both charge at thee same time. They are both wired now to a switch where I can turn 1 or the other on.

Is this feasible. Any problems doing this?
spudsdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 04:44   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Two inverters/chargers?

If you haven't already, get Charge Acceptance Rate info from the Lifeline site. I remember it's pretty high, but you can then do the math better...

-Chris
Old 27-09-2022, 06:23   #3

A 1760 AH Lifeline battery bank absolutely will take 250 Amps of charge, in fact it is good for them

But before you decide this is a good idea...

If these are BOTH inverter/chargers they can NOT both be turned on as inverters at the same time. That will destroy a lot of expensive stuff with magic smoke leaking out everywhere. I do not know if they could be turned on as "chargers only" safely. There is a lot of risk of human error if you go that route... But if they CAN there is still more to think about...

Can you supply sufficient shore power to actually feed both chargers? Thats going to be OVER 55 Amps at 110V. I am guessing... not! If you are using a genset, it depends on its capacity. But... if you are connected to shore power, why do you care how long it takes to charge?

Also, are the chargers wired independently to the batteries? Do you have the DC wiring that can support 250 Amps of charge current?

In short without a full detailed review of the electrical system its connections and capacities, the only possible answer is "no." And not just no, but HELL NO.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 07:51   #4

Thank you Depends.
Of course at dock, no problem with charge rate/time. My concern is after anchorage for the night, charging with the genset.

I will say, you have scared me enough to forget this idea.
Thank you.
spudsdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 09:03   #5

Both inputs can be connected to ac. Both can charge. It’s probably already set up this this. If not the installers are idiots. The switch would go on the output. So only one will pass through. Or invert.

They can not be “joined together”. You will simply have 2 chargers.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter