Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 05:24   #16

I will have a new house bank battery consisting of 5 Odyssey PC1800
rated at 214AH each. Total of 1070AH's. 12volt system.

What is the best arrangement for new Alternator and Charger.
All I know so far is the Amplepower 160 amp large frame, double pulley alternator
complete with their smart 3 stage regulator. And the Mastervolt Charger available
as 100 amps or 200amps.

Can you share your knowledge on what is the best way to go. Obviously I would also
include wind and solar charging. HELP
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 06:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
..... I still haven't found any reference to doing this in any of the charger installation instructions, but it makes sense in my mind... this gives me a lot more options in choosing a charger.

http://promariner.com/images/Product...i%20Manual.pdf

page 8/10 online (or page 11 as in the paper manual)
That is how I have my Promariner 3 bank chargers set up.

My 1 boat (a go-fast boat) using the 2 output config. for a simple twin engine with each it's own battery.
My cruiser I'll have it as just 1 output config. feeding a house bank of 2 batteries, and using a Blue Seas combiner to keep the start battery topped off. The Promariner tech line have been very helpful explaining how the charger works when configed as a 1 bank, 2 bank , or 3 bank charger when I had same questions.

Yes, any unused charger output leads are connected to a used output so that each output 'sees' a load, regardless if it is actually connected to a battery...per Promariners instructions.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote