Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 22:05   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Most likely because they know the vehicle will still get a work out at the begining of the day and the end of the day. It also depends on the metal the bore is made from. You can get the softer Cast iron sleeved bores and you can get harden steel bores. The cast is good in boats because the boat engine tends to work a little clooler. The road vehicles etc tend to have harder sleeves as they work much harder and hotter.
Fuel injection management has changed things a lot as well. The CPU determins how much fuel to use to get the desired RPM as against the more "tolerant" governor.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05   #17

Boat: sceptre 41
i have been looking at these 2 v batts. they are very expensive but the capacity seems amazing.
Webster Solar Energy - Batteries & Battery Accessories
they are the TS-1560 model
also this is a drawing of how they are connected resulting in 1560 ah supposedly

any input on these would be appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOLAR 6V - 1560 AH.pdf (171.5 KB, 69 views)
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 12:55   #18

Boat: 434 Elan "Sweet As"
Hi there, I am having problems with my batteries overcharging (cooking) sometimes when on shore power(240v), I have 4 x 125amh Batteries(500amh total) with a 40 amp charger. I leave the boat with the fridge going drawing 7amp

I am thinking there could be 2 problems
1/ fridge is drawing power so the charger is not going into float

or
2/ the charger is poked,

A sparky has also told me that I should use a 240v to 12v transformer so I can leave the fridge going when on shore power (like to keep the beers cold when we use it as an apartment) He said the frridge is causing the problem.

Also I was thinking of upgrading the charger to an 80 amp to get a faster charge from my 3kva genset

Any advice would be very helpful - thanks
bowring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 13:08   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Shala-
2 volt batteries are actually "cells" not batteries. A battery being a group of connected cells. The basic "lead" chemistry produces about two volts, and one cell is one physical unit. In industrial uses like electric fork lifts, it is normal to bolt up your own battery from thesre industrial cells, and if one cell goes bad or weak, just replace the one cell. Given the heavy use those industrial batteries get--it makes very good dollars and sense for them to do it that way.
it certainly can work just as well for a boat, or anyone else, IF you are using that maount of power and IF you have the physical room to set up the installation.

bowring-
I think running the fridge directly from shore power is a good idea, it simply guarantees that the fridge can't be "confusing" your charer, whatever charger you use. You might not *need* to do it that way but that is a simple fast reliable solution.
Given the cost of batteries, I'd start hooking up a good voltmeter and monitoring the actual charger output, and check with the maker to see how "smart" it is or isn't. It could just be broken (bad sensor, bad relay) and not dropping into float mode, with or without the fridge.
If your charger has the option of thermal sensors (for ambient or battery temperature) you might want to add that, ambient temperature is usually ignored but it does make a difference.
You certainly could use more capacity on the charger to charge faster--assuming your are using an AC genset to power the charger? Instead of direct DC from a genset?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 15:07   #20

Boat: 434 Elan "Sweet As"
Hellosailer -thanks for your help!!

Yes its a AC genset.

The maker of the charger says its at 14.58 then floats at 13.58, but it doesn't seem to work all the time. he also says that they had problems with the temperature senors!!

So looks like I will upgrade the charger first

Also thinking of making a smart reg for my alternator with diodes and a timer, any coments?

smart reg.pdf
bowring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:22   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" 14.58...problems with the temperature senors!!"

14.58 sounds hot to me, and problems with temp sensors...Nah, they're just too damn simple to be problems. My rash feeling would be, jump to another brand, yes.

Smart regulator? Well...Many ways to skin a cat, but I'd look for a charger that's smart enough to deal with things all in one, and if necessary, just break out the ice box separately instead.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries