Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 04:22   #1

Trojan T-105 voltage under load

Hi,

I just installed two Trojan T-105 batteries in series giving me 225 Ah @ 12 V. I charged them fully keeping 6 hours at 14,5 V absorption voltage and during last 3 hours batteries took under 1 A.

However, after charger was disconnected battery voltage was soon 12,3 V under 2 A load and 12,0 V under 8 A load. At that point only 12 Ah was used from the fully charged batteries. Is that normal? For me the voltages seem much lower what they should be.

I tried to search C20 (i.e. 225/20 = 11 A) voltage vs time curve to see what I should be expecting for T-105 batteries but couldn't find it. Is that kind of chart available somewhere?

Br,
Sam
Sam the Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:01   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Trojan T-105 voltage under load

Something not right there, below is the same setup cycling on solar with probably 2A - 6A loads overnight, you can easily see the fridge turning on and off. Round bout 80% state of charge in the morning.
Sure the voltmeter is accurate? What specific gravity are they at?

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Trojan T-105 voltage under load

What are the voltages of each battery after resting with no load for 2 hours? My guess is one of them is different than the other.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:32   #4

Thanks! Voltmeter should be accurate. I'm using Nasa BM-2 for voltage, amps and to integrate amp hours. MyTriStar solar panel controller and handheld multimeter give similar readings than BM-2.

I need to check the specific gravity.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:04   #5

As a guess based on doing c20 tests a few times on other batteries. . They should stay over 12.5 for 5-6 hours and over 12v for 10-12 hours. With a c20 load.

You have something wrong.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:44   #6

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Here's the datasheet, use this for your information.
https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/da...ata_Sheets.pdf

Trojan batteries have lower voltages that other batteries. I have 8 x IND17 running my house right now. You would be better to get a refractometer and measure the density of the electrolyte, it's $24. Compensate for temperature.
https://www.amazon.com/Ade-Advanced-...+refractometer

I would cycle the batteries for a few days, let them cool for four hours, disconnect all load and charging sources, and measure the temp and voltage. Measure each battery, with the strings disconnected. You don't need to disconnect the battery as long as there is no circuit.
Then report back the readings in table form.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:54   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Sam,

We also have a house bank of T-105 batteries. You are right, what you are experiencing indicates something is not right...

Here is the T-105 spec sheet. Note, that depending upon the battery temperatures, you were likely undercharging them [Absorption = 14.82VDC @ 77F; more if cooler...]

I would make sure they are fully charged and the the wiring is good [connections, sizes, etc.] before assuming there is an issue with the batteries themselves [assuming they are new...]

Also, lead acid batteries don't reach their full potential until discharged a few cycles. And you may need to run an equalization cycle to get them up to capacity depending upon their charge history. [We equalize whenever they go more than a week in a partial state of charge (SOC) state.]

Best wishes sorting it all out.

Cheers! Bill
Old 05-08-2018, 09:51   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Are the measured voltages at the panel or at the battery terminals? Could be some undersized or funky wiring involved. I was checking out a new Jeanneau this week and found the panel meter reading 12.1 v under a 10 amp load, while there was still 12.5 v across the battery terminals.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:37   #9

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Something not right there, below is the same setup cycling on solar with probably 2A - 6A loads overnight, you can easily see the fridge turning on and off. Round bout 80% state of charge in the morning.
Sure the voltmeter is accurate? What specific gravity are they at?

What tool provided that chart? Want one.

Scott
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:39   #10

I'm not an expert and this is what I learned many years ago. When batteries are used either in parallel or series it is best to try and acclimatize them to each other with multiple charge discharge cycles in parallel preferably in a temperature controlled bath. New high quality batteries were seasoned in this way before being connected in an emergency critical application power back-up system. This may be why performance improves over repeated cycling. FWIW YMMV

Unfortunately I have no sources to cite and the EE that designed this system is no longer with us.
SFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:49   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

This morning I got up and my 460AH bank of T105s was -85AH and was discharging at about 5 amps and the voltage was reading 12.3. The bank was close to fully charged yesterday.

This is a normal reading on the boat was the same as the Deka house bank I had prior.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:58   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted View Post
What tool provided that chart? Want one.

Scott
It's a raspberry pi running openplotter >
https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter-v1-x-x/

With a ADS1115 voltage sensor >
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...s1115&_sacat=0

The a built in prog called node red makes it pretty easy to create funky dashboards and graphs. Records everything to a database as well once a minute.

Great to spot anomalies that you just wouldn't see looking at a meter now and again.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Are the measured voltages at the panel or at the battery terminals? Could be some undersized or funky wiring involved. I was checking out a new Jeanneau this week and found the panel meter reading 12.1 v under a 10 amp load, while there was still 12.5 v across the battery terminals.

I think this is very likely true, plus accuracy of the measuring device.
I do not think I have inadequate or funky wiring, but my BMK on my Magnum which is connected directly to the bank is reading 13.4 V.
My Blue Sea M2 multimeter which I connected to the backside of the battery switch for ease of installation is reading 13.2 V.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The voltage is measured from the battery terminals so undersized wiring or bad connectors shouldn't affect if I'm right (unless it's the battery terminal connection).
Old 05-08-2018, 13:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
What are the voltages of each battery after resting with no load for 2 hours? My guess is one of them is different than the other.
I left the fully charged batteries disconnected for few hours and measured the voltages: both were 6.44 V which is what good batteries should show, I think.

Tags
loa