Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 12:09   #31

Re: Trojan T-105 voltage under load

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The voltages you are reporting are not promising.

Are you sure the readings are acurate? Voltage measuring instruments can easily drift out calibration, especially on boat with salt, heat, vibration etc.
I think the voltage readings are quite accurate. My all three meters show approximately same values (Nasa BM-2 battery monitor, TriStar solar panel controller and handheld multimeter).
Sam the Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:25   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Let the batteries break in then re-test. This means a number of deep cycles, 7-25+ followed by full recharges. This is not totally uncommon for deep cycle batteries when they are new.
Old 06-08-2018, 13:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Let the batteries break in then re-test. This means a number of deep cycles, 7-25+ followed by full recharges. This is not totally uncommon for deep cycle batteries when they are new.
Thanks for the advice! So no need to worry about the 0.3 V difference between the batteries for now? I don't have adjustable power source and probably won't ge one soon so I cannot equalize/charge the 6 V batteries individually.

Br,
Sam
Sam the Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 13:59   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Do what you can for now, get better gear when you can.

Heavy loads like a windlass will bring V down a **lot** below those theoretical V vs SoC charts, maybe need more than 24hours to get to actual resting point.

Have you got an AH counting meter? Using that to estimate SoC will be more accurate than measuring voltage.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:25   #35

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sailor View Post
Hi,

I just installed two Trojan T-105 batteries in series giving me 225 Ah @ 12 V. I charged them fully keeping 6 hours at 14,5 V absorption voltage and during last 3 hours batteries took under 1 A.

However, after charger was disconnected battery voltage was soon 12,3 V under 2 A load and 12,0 V under 8 A load. At that point only 12 Ah was used from the fully charged batteries. Is that normal? For me the voltages seem much lower what they should be.

I tried to search C20 (i.e. 225/20 = 11 A) voltage vs time curve to see what I should be expecting for T-105 batteries but couldn't find it. Is that kind of chart available somewhere?

Br,

Sam

Only “resting voltage” means anything at all!

If first FULLY charged, then all sources of power are disconnected for several hours... (going in or out), then the resting voltage should be just over 12.6V.

Because the battery bank’s V with a load on it tells you nada about the charge of the battery, a “charge monitor”, like Link 10, is required. These sophisticated monitors count the amps going in or out, and if you top up your batteries regularly, which re-zeros the meter, they are spot on accurate.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:28   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Only “resting voltage” means anything at all!
The voltage under load is often a better predictor of battery health than the resting voltage.

It is not unusual to see a battery that has reached the end of its life, or has become defective, to have a normal resting voltage, but to also have a voltage drop much lower than it should do with even a small load.

In summary, resting voltage is a better predictor of a battery’s SOC, but voltage under load is better at showing if the battery is healthy.

A capacity test is better again for both of these parameters, but this test is much more involved.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04   #37

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The voltage under load is often a better predictor of battery health than the resting voltage.

It is not unusual to see a battery that has reached the end of its life, or has become defective, to have a normal resting voltage, but to also have a voltage drop much lower than it should do with even a small load.

In summary, resting voltage is a better predictor of a battery’s SOC, but voltage under load is better at showing if the battery is healthy.

A capacity test is better again for both of these parameters, but this test is much more involved.

The post was in reference to state of charge in NEW batteries, and what V is normal for such new batteries.

It had nothing to do with the “health” of these new batteries, presumed to be normal, healthy, NEW batteries.

Testing the AH capacity = health, of older batteries, etc. is a very different subject.

Mark Johnson (Boatwright for > 50 years)
Delphys Marine
Old 07-08-2018, 07:49   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
It had nothing to do with the “health” of these new batteries, presumed to be normal, healthy, NEW batteries.
I don’t think that assumption is correct, Mark. I think Sam is worried the batteries, (or a single battery) is defective. I would be concerned about this given the reported voltages under load.
Quote:
Even after reading the links it's not clear for me whether it's more likely balancing/commissioning issue or defect battery.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:54   #39

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
I left the fully charged batteries disconnected for few hours and measured the voltages: both were 6.44 V which is what good batteries should show, I think.

So that is about full for new batteries. Go sailing.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:55   #40
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
So that is about full for new batteries. Go sailing.
Wouldn't you dig a bit deeper if your new 225Ah batteries soon went down down to 12.3v with a 2A load?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:07   #41

Trojan T-105 voltage under load

They are at 12.88V. They can’t drop to 12.3V with 20AH drain. If one of the batteries was “bad” the voltages would not be equal. So it means there is a measurement error somewhere not bad batteries.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:35   #42

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! So no need to worry about the 0.3 V difference between the batteries for now? I don't have adjustable power source and probably won't ge one soon so I cannot equalize/charge the 6 V batteries individually.

Br,
Sam
Worry about the batteries being different voltage when they are at rest (not charging or discharging). If they are the same after doing nothing for couple hours then there is no imbalance problem. The difference measured when charging or discharging has more to do with cabling and your measurement technique I would guess. New batteries are often a little "different" in the early days.

As another poster correctly said, use them for a while and then see how equal they are at rest. Check each battery at-rest voltage and compare to the SOC chart made by Trojan.

I strongly suspect there is no problem here.
Old 07-08-2018, 14:32   #43
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
The post was in reference to state of charge in NEW batteries, and what V is normal for such new batteries.

Yes they are new.

But whether they are defective or not is exactly the topic of the OP and what everyone else is discussing.

WRT your incorrect statement, even if a bank is perfectly healthy, a table of voltages under a given stable load will have a pretty stable correspondences to SoC.

Until the battery ages and loses capacity, then the relationship changes.

Just as it does with true resting voltages, after 24-72 hours.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 15:06   #44

New batteries tend to have a lot of variance in voltage at 100% SOC. For example, my new Lifeline batteries measure 13.1V after resting for 7 days fully charged. But they will eventually follow the charts after a few months.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:31   #45

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Hi,

I just installed two Trojan T-105 batteries in series giving me 225 Ah @ 12 V. I charged them fully keeping 6 hours at 14,5 V absorption voltage and during last 3 hours batteries took under 1 A.

However, after charger was disconnected battery voltage was soon 12,3 V under 2 A load and 12,0 V under 8 A load. At that point only 12 Ah was used from the fully charged batteries. Is that normal? For me the voltages seem much lower what they should be.

I tried to search C20 (i.e. 225/20 = 11 A) voltage vs time curve to see what I should be expecting for T-105 batteries but couldn't find it. Is that kind of chart available somewhere?

Br,
Sam
I agree that these results are not acceptable for a new battery and I am finding a similar situation for my new T105 in series. The last set lasted just 3 years and I am going to try equalizing them, but recent experience after using a new set of Trojans is very disappointing!

In my thread on equalizing t105 there was a post with a good attachment about SOC and voltages while charging and while under load.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa