Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 17:22   #16

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Re: Trojan Six Volt Batteries

T 105 were the only ones that fit. Alternator charges house bank of 4 t105. I left the 1/2 switch for the house bank so I can isolate each bank if I need to. I just leave it on ALL. I put in a Echo charge to charge the starter battery. I have 2 50 watt solar panels with an charge controller ( Morningstar). No Refer and all lights are LED's. Worked great all summer.
Next I plan to up grade my alternator to a 100A.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 18:04   #17

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I love my good 'ole flooded lead acid Trojans (105's).

Been on a lot of other boats (deliveries) lately. Those fancy AGM's don't seem at all worth the money to me.... most seem to die young.

The worst are those stupid gel cells.... man those things are temperamental.

Anyone using the vent caps that (kinda) transform their batteries into
maint-free? I have read about them, and (coincidentally) just topped up my batteries today... was thinking about those caps that capture the water that evaporates / boils.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 18:09   #18

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver
T 105 were the only ones that fit. Alternator charges house bank of 4 t105. I left the 1/2 switch for the house bank so I can isolate each bank if I need to. I just leave it on ALL. I put in a Echo charge to charge the starter battery. I have 2 50 watt solar panels with an charge controller ( Morningstar). No Refer and all lights are LED's. Worked great all summer.
Next I plan to up grade my alternator to a 100A.
You don't isolate your start battery if under sail? (assuming this is a sailboat described above). If not may I ask why? Am redoing our charging and battery situation this winter. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 18:21   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Sounds like you have an echo charge of some sort to charge your start battery. If you have room for the 125's that is good as it gives you the most energy density per sq. ft. Trojan are good batteries but like Zee others have posted that they have had good service from Costco golf cart batteries.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:14   #20

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
You don't isolate your start battery if under sail? (assuming this is a sailboat described above). If not may I ask why? Am redoing our charging and battery situation this winter. SC
Yelp I isolate my start battery. I use anecho charge. Alternator feeds house bank and echo charge keeps start battery up. I have a on/off switch for start battery that I never use.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 12:38   #21

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
Yelp I isolate my start battery. I use anecho charge. Alternator feeds house bank and echo charge keeps start battery up.
ditto this; I use a Blue Sea heavy-duty charging relay. all charge sources go to my house bank, and my starter battery is paralleled in whenever the house bank voltage is over 13v.
Old 28-09-2011, 16:31   #22

Boat: Morgan 36 O/I Sancutary

I have 6 Trogen T605's. the cost was alot less than the T105 but you give up about 20 amp's per set..
jay thienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 16:44   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

ditto with the T605's .. i have 4 of them and think i paid about 100 each .. still have over 400 amp hours .. weight just less than 60 pounds each

Tags
battery