Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2008, 02:06   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Towed water generators

My apologies if this has been asked in a previous thread (but I haven't been able to find such).
Has anyone used towed generators; if so, what was you experience of them - good, bad, indifferent?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:50   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Try this thread for discussion http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...log-12804.html

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 15:47   #3

Thanks, I have read that thread but it doesn't give real life experiences of of using towed generators. The actual physical aspects of the tow line and rotor will be similar I expect but I am really looking for first hand experiences.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-03-2008, 12:45   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Wot,
I lost a Walker knot log on a Pacific crossing to either shark or net and at the time had a towed generator (they've been around a long time) I never put it in the water again because I was afraid of losing it.
That's not much help in answering your question but I'll be installing a wind generator and some solar panels when I get round to it.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 03:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Wot,
I lost a Walker knot log on a Pacific crossing to either shark or net and at the time had a towed generator (they've been around a long time) I never put it in the water again because I was afraid of losing it...JohnL
John’s “saved” his towed generator - but to what purpose?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 06:27   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Try this site: Onpassage.com :* Water Towed Generators for cruising yachts
I've heard good things about the Duogen but it's real pricey. I think it goes in the water somewhat like an outboard motor rather than really being towed.
Old 23-03-2008, 06:43   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I've heard good things about the Duogen but it's real pricey. I think it goes in the water somewhat like an outboard motor rather than really being towed.
I wonder how much efficiency is lost in air mode due to the right angle drive and that long shaft. Gotta be at least 10%. Could be worth it for the water mode, but I'd worry that the pivot yoke would be a major wear point. Cool design, though, keeps more weight at the deck level.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:26   #8

Yes the duogen does look good but is far outside my budget. Maybe SkiprJohn has a good one available, only used once (on a Sunday).

The fact they have been around for a long time, still in production but rarely seen (by me at least), is intriguing. Obviously only useful on longer passages.

I wonder how inconvenient they are to rig and derig, how well they REALLY work at 4 to 5 kts, how they behave in heavier weather and how much hassle they are in general. Maybe one more thing to ship and stow below in a blow.