Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 18:35   #1

Boat: Allied 39
Tinned 22G duplex wire where to buy?

We love using LED lights but find running heavier wires doesn't make much sense. For year I have been buying anchor 22G speaker wire (duplex) and this has worked out great. But a couple years ago I have not been able to find this smaller type tinned duplex wire.

Anyone have a source for 22G tinned duplex wire?

Many thanks

Chuck
Marquesas

jacaranda-journey
Old 20-09-2015, 19:31   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Tinned 22G duplex wire where to buy?

I recently bought this to wire some LED lights and was pleasantly surprised to find it tinned and of quite good quality. Much better than I was expecting. I wouldn't wire a mast with it, though - one would want jacketed wire for that.

20m 66ft 20awg Extension Cable Wire Cord for Led Strips Single Colour 3528 5050 - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 19:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Try Ancor...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 21:00   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

ABYC on using smaller gauge wire for LEDs
Minimum Wire Size and LED Lighting - American Boat and Yacht Council
Old 21-09-2015, 00:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

Hi Paul

Very interesting and thanks for posting the link.

From the link
"So why not allow for smaller than 18 AWG? Sure, a 22 AWG would safely handle the electrical loads of an LED lighting circuit. But somewhere, someone is going to use that circuit for something else... different lighting or drawing power to a new GPS unit. It would be too easy to exceed the ampacity of the circuit, so a line had to be drawn in the sand at some point and 18 AWG is it"

So if I am using 18G per code for a LED light as the wire of choice and someone decides to wire a windlass using this 18G ....... I have heard of some bonehead rules before but this one leaves me speechless. Gotta love the reasoning behind rules eh?

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 21-09-2015, 00:39   #6

I wouldn't even use 22awg for a speaker let alone electrical... I don't use less then 14 for any electrical no mater how small.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:54   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Most authorities recommend 16g as min size that has the physical strength to survive a boat environment which is why you don't see 22g in the chandlers. It is only used for electronics with lots of support and special connectors and even then its a pain because it frequently breaks.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:35   #8

Early digital systems were mostly wired with AWG 22. That size is normally communications and signaling connections for inter board and inter chassis wiring. I have worked on systems with miles of it in cabling.
By the way the AWG 22 was terminated in gold plated crimp on pins in connector shells.
The major wire mfg's make it in twisted pair, shielded if you think it will meet your needs. That would be microphone audio cable. Also single wire in various colors and insulation as required. I have some on the bench for logic connections. Also use AWG 24 up to AWG 30 (wire wrap wire).
Look at the BELDEN catalog at Mouser or Future.
BUT as someone said, fine stranded, AWG 18 is the smallest gauge normally used to carry analog voltages on a live vessel or anywhere else.
ANCHOR has good quality wire for boats.
AWG 16 comes in many colors and is suitable for LED lights.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:19   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
AWG 16 comes in many colors and is suitable for LED lights.
[QUOTE ] Idon't use less then 14 for any electrical no mater how small [/QUOTE]

#10 is also suitable for LED lights but that is not what the poster asked for. Often when rewiring for LED in particular, you need very flexible cable and SMALL to fit behind small spaces. Using #14 is just plain wasteful. If some future owner wants to connect their new windlass or GPS to my LED light circuit, more power to them.

Chouliha - I had some multi-conductor instrument wire that I stripped out of the sheath and got tinned small conductors.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:12   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We love using LED lights but find running heavier wires doesn't make much sense. For year I have been buying anchor 22G speaker wire (duplex) and this has worked out great. But a couple years ago I have not been able to find this smaller type tinned duplex wire.

Anyone have a source for 22G tinned duplex wire?

Many thanks

Chuck
Marquesas

jacaranda-journey

I caution you that too small wire will certainly work & I have used it where LED lights needed nil for amps. In a lightening strike last year, the small stuff fused and burned. Black art to be sure, just saying.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 23:14   #11

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did check Ancor and see that they still manufacturer 20G duplex wire they sell for instruments. Have not been able to locate 22G duplex tinned so think the 20G will have to do. It's on the list for the next trip back to the States.

Safe sailing

Chuck

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 22-09-2015, 04:13   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. I did check Ancor and see that they still manufacturer 20G duplex wire they sell for instruments. Have not been able to locate 22G duplex tinned so think the 20G will have to do. It's on the list for the next trip back to the States.

Safe sailing

Chuck

jacaranda-journey
Locate the nearest avionics shop at an airport and they should have plenty of 22 AWG twin core twisted shielded wire. It will have either 1000 or 600 volt tefzel insulation. They might have 18, 20 & 24 gauge as well. It is a very common size in aircraft wiring.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:21   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Locate the nearest avionics shop at an airport and they should have plenty of 22 AWG twin core twisted shielded wire. It will have either 1000 or 600 volt tefzel insulation. They might have 18, 20 & 24 gauge as well. It is a very common size in aircraft wiring.

I use a lot of aircraft wire as I don't have to pay for it, but do be aware it's almost always all white wire, and it's usually stiffer than other wire, I think it easily strong enough for boat use.
I didn't know what the insulation was, many years ago I was told Teflon, what is Tefzel?

I looked it up, sort of like Teflon, but tougher?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:46   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I use a lot of aircraft wire as I don't have to pay for it, but do be aware it's almost always all white wire, and it's usually stiffer than other wire, I think it easily strong enough for boat use.
I didn't know what the insulation was, many years ago I was told Teflon, what is Tefzel?

I looked it up, sort of like Teflon, but tougher?
If it's not white, it's not wire
Don't know any more than you and google about exactly what tefzel is
When I started in avionics way back when, we were told the insulation was teflon, now they tell us it is tefzel. Actually pretty sure it has been tefzel along!

I have wired up all three boats with M22579 wire; http://www.wiremasters.net/m22759.
As long as it isn't kapton - it's unfriendly
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:56   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We had Kapton wiring all over the "A" model Apache, Had an aircraft burn once in some low lying dessert type terrain, next day the guards went to the hospital, apparently Kapton and many other of the composites create poisonous gasses when they burn.
But between old Kapton wiring and those flat Raychem connectors, I learned a lot more about avionics than I wanted to. (I'm not, nor have I ever been an Avionics tech)

Aircraft wiring is tinned, right?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote