Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 16:28   #1

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Thrudex DR1

I have John Payne's Marine Electrical Bible. On page 130 he suggests using a Thrudex DR1 gland for installing cables to the top of the mast. Doing a goggle search no such animal seems to exist. My installation is for a small round data cable NKE, one 14awg 3 strand boat cable for the Mast Tri color with anchor and two rg213 cable one for the VHF antenna the other for a AIS antenna. These cable will fit into the installed PVC conduit.

Does anybody have suggestions for sealing the mast head around these cables or know of the Thrudex DR1.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39   #2

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
Without knowing your specific masthead arrangement it's kinda hard to recommend a solution, but I personally have never seen a masthead sealed at the top,(doesn't mean it don't exist maybe in mast furling?) seems impossible with internal halyards, and most sheave boxes are open on the bottom. But if you want to avoid drilling holes thru the casting, perhaps route the cables thru the side of the mast just below the casting with a grommet to protect them from chafe and a clam vent covering the hole would work to deflect most water intrusion. That is how my VHF and masthead transducer cables are routed. Or maybe something like this- CableClams - Blue Sea Systems might be what you're looking for if you have the room up there.
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote