Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
The effect of 50hz?

I have a GENERAL question regarding what effect 50hz will have on a battery charger. I am currently shopping for a (3.5kva +-) Multi Tap Isolation Transformer and so I will be able to get European 230v down to the 120v. That said I do understand that this will do nothing to change the frequency so the voltage will be 50hz when operating in Europe. I have seen many posts regarding the effect of 60hz equipment running at 50hz as far as efficiency, heat buildup, and additional wear & tear. Mostly these relate to motors, magnetrons, heating elements and some other stuff, but have not seen a specific comment on a battery chargers. I have bought my Inverter/Charger already (Magnum Energy MS2012-U) and when purchasing it could not find anything on the charger input voltage spec. but knew is was 120v. I have since found a supplement on their website citing 120v/60hz. Understanding that 60hz is the system in which this product was designed for, does anyone know the real world effect of running it or any 120v/60hz charger in a 50hz environment? Of course I'm chasing down answers from other sources (i.e. the manufacture), but was hoping to get comment from the smart guys here as sometimes the manufacture will just use spec's to void warranty. That said, I'm not that concerned about warranty, I'm just concerned if it will work at all. If the ill effects would be simply in longevity and efficiency and if it will have ill effects on other equipment beyond the charger it self.
I have seen other American Made battery chargers spec'd at 120v 50hz/60hz but of course that does not mean mine is okay. On that note does anyone know what design consideration are required to make something okay to run at both 50 and 60 hertz. I'm sure this very complicated and dependent on what type of equipment/device it is, lets say for a battery charger for now.
Sorry for the run on, but once again I'm hoping for real world experience and not replies like call the manufacturer, as I am pursuing that also.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 18:49   #2

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I have bought my Inverter/Charger already (Magnum Energy MS2012-U) and when purchasing it could not find anything on the charger input voltage spec. but knew is was 120v. I have since found a supplement on their website citing 120v/60hz.
Thanks,
Extemp.
And now I check the actual product (see attached) and it says that the charger Frequency range is 45 to 75Hz. Guess I go Lucky. Or I could take it back although I hate doing that when the cause is that I was not thorough.
Thanks,

Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MagEnr-MS2012 InvertCharge.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	7035  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 19:24   #3

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
I can comment on the opposite, using European equipped boat in the USA & Caribbean, i.e. 50hz equipment in 60Hz environment. All work fine including Victron battery charger, washing machine, TV etc. Just bought Marinco 125/230v 50 amp connectors & wired across the two live (hot) connections to get 230 volts pretty much every marina I visit. The only difference I note is that my Siemens microwave oven works extra well. Baked potato cooked in half the normal time, & yes it's still working after six years this side of the Atlantic.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote