Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 11:57   #76

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: The case for multiple small inverters

I'm not sure if this is still true with new inverters, but the goal used to be to keep the load within the 30% range for peak efficiency. That's why small inverters were recommended over large.

Click image for larger version

Name:	efficurve_2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	219569

Figure 11.8. Typical generic inverter efficiency curve. Below 10-15% of power output, efficiency is quite low. At high output power, the efficiency is steadily high with some small variations.

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/eme812/node/738

Matt
Old 20-07-2020, 05:19   #77

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I'm not sure if this is still true with new inverters, but the goal used to be to keep the load within the 30% range for peak efficiency. That's why small inverters were recommended over large.

Attachment 219569

Figure 11.8. Typical generic inverter efficiency curve. Below 10-15% of power output, efficiency is quite low. At high output power, the efficiency is steadily high with some small variations.

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/eme812/node/738

Matt

That’s right!!

I knew I was getting this idea from somewhere. It was in the inaccessible back corners of my mind.

So being able to hit the peak efficiency AND being able to turn it off when it’s not being used might indeed be worth it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 06:54   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That’s right!!

I knew I was getting this idea from somewhere. It was in the inaccessible back corners of my mind.

So being able to hit the peak efficiency AND being able to turn it off when it’s not being used might indeed be worth it.
It is wise to use one dedicated smaller true sine inverter for refrigeration. You can buy models that have a couple of outlets right on the unit so install is easier as well.

I don’t think it’s wise to have separate inverters for fridge and freezer and to switch them on & off using mechanical thermostats. When you have a fridge and freezer, there’s almost always one of them running and an inverter scaled for both units running simultaneously, will be in maximum efficiency when only one is running so it can be powered on whenever refrigeration is in use and the whole mess with additional thermostats can be avoided.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:36   #79

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It is wise to use one dedicated smaller true sine inverter for refrigeration. You can buy models that have a couple of outlets right on the unit so install is easier as well.

I don’t think it’s wise to have separate inverters for fridge and freezer and to switch them on & off using mechanical thermostats. When you have a fridge and freezer, there’s almost always one of them running and an inverter scaled for both units running simultaneously, will be in maximum efficiency when only one is running so it can be powered on whenever refrigeration is in use and the whole mess with additional thermostats can be avoided.
This sounds like the right compromise. Thanks!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:44   #80
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This sounds like the right compromise. Thanks!
These are nice but much cheaper ones are available from eBay, AliExpress etc. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-1200VA-EN.pdf

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter