Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 11:28   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Terminals for Victron BMV-702 shunt

Hello everyone

Can anyone please tell me what is the diameter of the threaded size of the threaded studs at each end of the Victron shunt? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" or 1/2"?

I am preparing everything to install one of these on my boat that is very far away and need to make sure I get lugs with holes of the right size.

Many thanks in advance!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Terminals for Victron BMV-702 shunt

They are probably metric.

I had one of these for a few years and didn't like it. The % state of charge function is useless. It's a decent ammeter/voltmeter.

For % state of charge, I found simple voltage measurement under semi-controlled conditions to be far more accurate.

And best of all, apparently, is the SmartGauge -- would recommend having a look at that. I'm planning to put in one of those this spring.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 12:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
They are probably metric.

I had one of these for a few years and didn't like it. The % state of charge function is useless. It's a decent ammeter/voltmeter.

For % state of charge, I found simple voltage measurement under semi-controlled conditions to be far more accurate.

And best of all, apparently, is the SmartGauge -- would recommend having a look at that. I'm planning to put in one of those this spring.
I agree that SOC based on counting electrons is worthless unless yo manually resync and update capacity often. I have worked with owners of very expensive boats that have been misled to rely on them in autosuync mode with the nominal Ah capacity setting just to see batteries die..

I want to use it only as a good ammeter/voltmeter to keep and eye on the alternator and as an Ah counter to run battery capacity tests.. I have to get these bloody AGMs to last a bit longer!

Do you have an idea of the diameter of the lugs? I do not worry about SAE or metric, just needs to be about right so that the lug will fit on the stud but not be too loose..

I will keep an eye on your Smartgauge experience. It seems very mysterious but somehow they say it works!
Old 23-02-2015, 04:55   #4

He justs wants to know the bolt size !!!

If I recall, mine were metric, but just a bit bigger then 3/8 inch. I remember filing the hole out a bit, not having any 1/2 inch lugs.

Bring both

Good luck

Sent from my VS840 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 05:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
He justs wants to know the bolt size !!!

If I recall, mine were metric, but just a bit bigger then 3/8 inch. I remember filing the hole out a bit, not having any 1/2 inch lugs.
Many thanks!
Old 23-02-2015, 05:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I agree that SOC based on counting electrons is worthless unless yo manually resync and update capacity often. I have worked with owners of very expensive boats that have been misled to rely on them in autosuync mode with the nominal Ah capacity setting just to see batteries die..

I want to use it only as a good ammeter/voltmeter to keep and eye on the alternator and as an Ah counter to run battery capacity tests.. I have to get these bloody AGMs to last a bit longer!

Do you have an idea of the diameter of the lugs? I do not worry about SAE or metric, just needs to be about right so that the lug will fit on the stud but not be too loose..

I will keep an eye on your Smartgauge experience. It seems very mysterious but somehow they say it works!
The bolts on Victron Ah counters take a 3/8" lug perfectly...

This might be of interest to some..

Programming A Battery Monitor

Old 23-02-2015, 05:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The bolts on Victron Ah counters take a 3/8" lug perfectly...
This might be of interest to some..
Programming A Battery Monitor
Many thanks; I have read your good stuff of course.