Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 13:21   #1

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
Tapping into solar power to charge my JBL battery powered Speakers.

Hi,

I have five 135W solar panels on my solar tower. I want to tap into one of my solar panels to create a USB charging station off of one of the panels.

I have JBL Charge 5 speakers that need to stay charged while out on the boat. The speakers don't last 20 hours like they say they do. Probably because we play them loud.

I'm looking for the right way to tap into one of my solar towers, with a solar controller so I can charge the spears while they hang on my tower just below the solar panels. The JBL speakers charged via a USB port so they will need maximum of 5 volts and 2 amps.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or solutions. Thanks!
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 14:03   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Tapping into solar power to charge my JBL battery powered Speakers.

The panels are going to be too powerful (!) and not regulated to charge the speakers themselves.
I would use solar charge controllers that have USB outputs on board or wire dedicated USB power outlets to your 12V house battery system and charge the house battery system off the solar panels and charge controller.
Old 04-04-2022, 14:26   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

I'm guessing those solar panels charge a 12v house battery? I'd run a 12v line back to the solar tower and put a weatherproof 12v outlet somewhere back there, then plug a 12v to USB outlet into it when you want to use your speakers.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 14:53   #4

Found this nice Device to get the job done...hope is has good USB ports that are relatively resistant to salty environment.

https://cuttingedgepower.com/product...12978244517943
Old 04-04-2022, 15:20   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You’ll need a battery 20-30 amp lipo the solar controller connects to the battery not the USB ports. The USB ports have two options with higher one being for pads and high demand batteries.
One of the easiest ways to control the whole mess is with an Arduino with a shield running solar charge and battery monitor also. Sky is the limit with Arduino so you could add wifi and check state of charge at any time Over charging is not an option so fans , golden rods, a string of lights on the Bimin to draw off the excess. This i is something the Arduino can do also turn on a system to secure the boat or burn off a sunny day resting. A raspberry pi even better and comes with two camera ports and d4 USB ports
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 16:43   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I'm guessing those solar panels charge a 12v house battery? I'd run a 12v line back to the solar tower and put a weatherproof 12v outlet somewhere back there, then plug a 12v to USB outlet into it when you want to use your speakers.
+1. Simple and practical.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 16:47   #7

Thanks for the replies.

I've found a solution without the hassle of more wiring from the house bank to the solar tower. I'm going to isolate one of the panels and use this product...

https://cuttingedgepower.com/product...12978244517943

Thanks for the tips and hope this thread is helpful to others.
Old 04-04-2022, 17:16   #8

The right way to do it would be to run a USB socket https://smile.amazon.com/YonHan-Char...49&sr=8-4&th=1

Doing it from the panel and taking that panel away from the main batteries is just not a good idea. Additionally, doing it with the socket would give you power to charge the speaker, phone, etc day or night.

Do it once, do it right.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 17:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
The right way to do it would be to run a USB socket https://smile.amazon.com/YonHan-Char...49&sr=8-4&th=1

Doing it from the panel and taking that panel away from the main batteries is just not a good idea. Additionally, doing it with the socket would give you power to charge the speaker, phone, etc day or night.

Do it once, do it right.
Respectfully, there are many ways to skin a cat. I have used and know about that product.

Like I said, I'm not cruising and I can live with 20% less solar power. And I need 4 USB ports, which the product I found provides. For the same price, I can draw power from the solar panel directly get the job done right the first time. I DON'T want to run more wiring through the boat/tower, etc...PITA. Thanks for your input though.

Tags
battery, solar