Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2022, 18:36   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Stripped threads, epoxy option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I can't imagine going cruising without a soldering iron.
If it hurts you to part with $12 for a soldering iron and solder
perhaps you should change over from sailing to solatiare and
a $2 deck of cards.

I learned to solder when I was like 11 years old. That was a long time ago.

I think there is a cogent argument to be made that for people who don't already have a background in hand soldering it is better to get good crimp tools and a box of good terminals and splices. Soldering takes practice and in today's world there are alternatives. I find soldering to be easy inexpensive convenient and flexible but it took a long time and a bunch of mistakes to get to this point.
Old 19-03-2022, 19:09   #17

By buying and carrying the tools, you are largely preventing problems from occurring that would require them for repairs
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 09:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have one of those on my boat for the ST-2000 autohelm

The screw stripped out when I installed it when it was new

I soldered it. It was not easy to solder. I used a larger soldering iron, like 150 watts, to get enough heat and had to be very careful to avoid melting the plastic. And 63/37 rosin core solder. I would not suggest it as a soldering project for someone who is relatively new to soldering.

It is a badly designed and poorly constructed connector. There are far better choices available and I can't imagine when Raymarine's engineers were thinking
Pretty much the exact situation I found myself in yesterday and the same thoughts. With all of the ways to make connections in today's world they choose this awkward crap that barely allows for any wire contact in perfect circumstances. And then they make it out of recycled tunafish cans. Sheesh. Infuriating.

Got it soldered, have power, and just need to run out and test it, hopefully tomorrow. Maybe it'll even work!
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 10:10   #19

Boat: Gemini 3200

Remove the wire. Paint the hole with JB Weld. Oil the screw lightly and screw it into the JB Weld before it cures. The oil will keep the JB Weld from bonding to the screw. After the JB Weld is cured back out the screw, replace the wire, and carefully tighten the screw.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 10:34   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380
Stripped threads, epoxy option?

I dont believe any epoxy will solve this. After all, the brass failed trying to do that job. No, this will take extraordinary measures.
Soldering would work, if most of the plastic can be taken away first. But i think just that is unlikely.
Last ditch effort: remove wire, fill every void with solder paste (with active rosin flux), and run 300 amps thru the connection for 2 seconds.
Sorry, thats all i got on this one.

Or: tap the WIRE opening, (maybe a 2-56) and find a solid copper wire just oversized. Thread the wire and twist it in. THEN epoxy.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 10:47   #21

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
If I have to, but I don't have a soldering gun and Holy Moly I am sick of buying tool after tool to do one tiny thing that shouldn't be a thing I have to do.

Soldering is the smart thing but it's 40+ min round trip to home depot plus tossing more $$$ in this hole in the water. I have epoxy. I just worry it might make a crap connection, so I'm hoping someone here will say it's great!
Everybody should probably have a butane powered soldering iron in their toolkit!

Seriously, super cheap, and gets the job done even if its not the most tidy.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 10:49   #22

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Get a small needle or nail. Jam that in to lock the wire in place so you'll have a good connection. Then use the epoxy on the screw but with some kind of release agent.. Also they make really tiny heicoils just for something like that.
Old 20-03-2022, 15:48   #23

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I bypassed the connector and hard spliced the connect station out of the picture. Seemed prone to further corrosion and a weak link as designed.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 16:25   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Home Depot it is.

In this kind of situation I prefer to get cordless tools. I have a good sized collection of Ryobi tools that I keep in my car that I've picked up over time. (Including a dual corded/cordless soldering iron.) That way I have them at home and at the boat. You may want to just bite the bullet and get a combo kit that has the basic tools. This one has a circular saw, multi-tool, drill, reciprocating saw and some other items for ~ $200. If you do your own maintenance and mods, you will end up using them all eventually. Look for sales as well.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 19:58   #25

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I suggest either a small piece of soldier or a few strands of copper wire, hopefully tinned, jammed into the threads - like toothpicks in a stripped wooden hole - and just screw a similar size self tapping screw in. That might hold.

Also, if you have any, try some conductive paste, the kind they use for aluminum to copper joints - to help the conductivity.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 20:21   #26

Possibly consider solder / use an oversize screw / use a small machine screw and nut.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 09:19   #27

Boat: Irwin sloop

Silver solder is very conductive
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 07:15   #28

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
If I have to, but I don't have a soldering gun and Holy Moly I am sick of buying tool after tool to do one tiny thing that shouldn't be a thing I have to do.

Soldering is the smart thing but it's 40+ min round trip to home depot plus tossing more $$$ in this hole in the water. I have epoxy. I just worry it might make a crap connection, so I'm hoping someone here will say it's great!
In my large marina, there is always somebody with a soldering gun. I always ask others if they have a tool I don't for temp use and visa versa.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 13:19   #29

Sometimes it is worth spending the money. If you try to go cheap it will fail again.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 13:48   #30

Quote:
Stripped a threaded hole on this bit of tinfoil raymarine uses as their power supply socket. In looking for ideas on how to make a good connection without the mechanical fastener.

My current idea is to mix up a tiny dab of JB weld, smoosh it in the screw hole, and press fit the now useless screw in on top of it and clamp it overnight. Then add tape. LOTS of tape.

And for clarity, it's not the screw that's stripped, but the socket.

Grrrr...
I must be more than usually dense today. What/where is the stripped socket? The photo seems to show a plastic connector plate with a multipin socket, two of which have wires soldered to them.

I have several soldering irons, of varying size and power level. One of mine that's handy on boats is a 12v pencil iron of around 30W that's great for small jobs, It was all of $8 on Aliexpress, then I put a better cable and a fused 12v cigarette-lighter plug on it. I also have a butane soldering iron.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy