Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 11:01   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35
Re: Strange goings on with my Nav and Deck light.

My money is on Guyrj33... You could always put a meter in line with each of the "positive" wires and see what the voltage reads (i.e. if it flips, etc). That was the only way I could figure out my mast wiring issues. Going up and looking at the wires at the light verified what the meter told me. Looking forward to hearing what the problem turns out to be!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:22   #17

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm in for a trip up the mast and a few hours of wire tracing fun.
I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old 09-11-2020, 13:03   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
I have one other guess if you have the negative of the deck light going to the positive of the nav light you might get this symptom.

Easy to check for this, turn on the deck light switch and turn off the nav light switch, check for power on BOTH sides of the nav switch.

This.

You should be able to check the connections in the junction box at the base of the mast. The only way for two completely separate lights (nav/anchor at the top and steaming/deck half way up) to be cross switched is if you mixed up the connections at the base of the mast.

If all you did was mess up the wires for the steaming/deck light then the problem would be isolated to that light fitting.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:32   #19

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Check your mast is not becoming part of the circuit via chafed wiring,seen this more than once.⛵️👍
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 21:08   #20

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Sorry for the late response, But I thought I should post an update.
Unfortunately I have not yet been able to go up the mast, so I am non the wiser there.
But I did find out that the steaming light is not working.
I am thinking of getting some 3 strand wire and rerunning the wire while i'm up there. Because thinking back to when I installed the light (about 3 or 4 years ago) my main objective was to install a better deck light, I think the steaming light may have been an extra and I may have never actually connected it up, as it didn't have one located there previously. I can only identify a single 2 strand wire at the base of the mast. Which is what I have currently wired.
So, I will right some more when I get back to the boat on the weekend.
Thanks
Jeff

Tags
deck