Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 15:09   #31
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Strange asymmetrical charge among linked batteries?

Lots of great theories and trouble shooting ideas here. I am betting RamblinRod has proposed the solution from the two possible problems.

i hope the OP lets us know what the actual problem is.
Old 01-02-2017, 15:58   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
More like, 25%. Way off.
Source?

> If one has to "put the bank to rest" to get reliable readings, it would be just as useful to just use a voltmeter.

We disagree on that, V is not SoC, especially over time.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 14:14   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Source?.
A friends boat we cruise with.

> If one has to "put the bank to rest" to get reliable readings, it would be just as useful to just use a voltmeter.

We disagree on that, V is not SoC, especially over time.[/QUOTE]

Well, we can disagree on that.

In my experience, for all practical intents and purposes, for a 12 Vdc FLA bank on the hook...

When one wakes up in the morning before the sun shines on the panels, if the bank reads 12.2 Vdc or more, all is well.

If they read higher, fantastic, the more the better. If they read less, capacity or charging was insufficient.

About sunset, if the bank reads 12.7 Vdc, all is well. If it reads less, there's a good chance the bank wasn't fully charged.

If conditions are the same tomorrow, start the alternate charging system to put more in the bank, so it will be fully charged, by sunset.

As experience is gained with the bank voltage under various charging and draining conditions, one learns to judge by about noon, if they will have to put more in the bank than the solar is likely to deliver, to charge fully by sunset.

Whether one has a display (of questionable accuracy) in A-hrs charged or consumed to 2 decimal places, is really of little additional value.

Notwithstanding, if any customer wishes me to supply and install a battery monitoring system of any description, I'll gladly comply.

On my personal boat, I have a digital voltage reading on the chartplotter display at the helm, and on the inverter/charger display at the nav station, so I know where my bank is at all times.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal