Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 07:12   #16

Re: Starting engine when batteries are dead

That's why I loved having outboard power (obviously the boat has to be designed for it). If the batteries die, a couple pulls and off you go.

Only used it one time. In the spring launch, I realized, I had disconnected the solar by accident and the batteries went dead over the winter and I didn't want to get charged for blocking up the launch slip.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:09   #17

Boat: Boatless

I carry a spare starter along with a NAPA jump start battery pack.

Just backup, ya never know ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:09   #18

I also use a lithium battery jumper pack. Mine cost $90 a year ago. I had to use it once this summer and it worked great.
DLincoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20   #19

Boat: Camano 41

Happened to me twice. Getting low on house while using the ham radio, so I switched on the starter battery, but as I had been drinking, forgot to turn it off. So the next morning I am charging my starter battery off my 15hp outboard with the rectifier I added to the outboard.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:11   #20

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Try this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_598GB4...e&awnw=o&awat=

There are a number of companies that make similar devices. This is the GB 40 with 1,000 Amps. They also have a GB20, GB 100 (2,000 AMps) and a GB 150 (4,000 Amps). You'll somewhere around 20 starts with it and once you charge it, it will last around a year before you need to charge it again. Also, it has USB ports so you can charge other things.

My Volvo MD6As have a hand crank with a decompression lever, which I love.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17   #21

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
I recall seeing a YouTube post years ago where a bloke used a line from the main boom run through blocks to the engine, where it was wrapped around the crankshaft pulley.

Then...…….gybe-o, followed by vroom vroom!
Ha! I remember reading about that 'trick' some years ago. Great thinking on somebody's part. My power plant is a simple, single cylinder, 12hp BMW … comes with a hand crank & has a decompression lever too, not to mention the ability to pre-heat the cylinder.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:20   #22

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

We have a 12 foot ribby with a 9,9 Yamaha, when the main engine has died we raft the ribby tight mid-ships and use the Yamaha....have done over 1,000 miles like that over the years
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Do you have a means of starting your propulsion engine in the event that all battery power is lost? Did you arrive at this redundancy deliberately or as a side effect of other goals?

How often have you had to use this capability?

Do you carry an extra starting motor and the tools necessary to install it?
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Ha! I remember reading about that 'trick' some years ago. Great thinking on somebody's part. My power plant is a simple, single cylinder, 12hp BMW … comes with a hand crank & has a decompression lever too, not to mention the ability to pre-heat the cylinder.
wish my old D12 would have had the preheat
Old 04-09-2018, 11:20   #24

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

Assuming the space for the generator and a quart of gas, Honda 2000, or at half that price, a Harbor Freight equivalent, and even cheaper a Harbor Freight 800, or equivalent can be carried as a backup. All have 115v and 12v capacity.
Rudy Sechez
Old 04-09-2018, 13:19   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Hand cranked the Volvo MD2 on our boat for 10 years. Almost always started on first try. Way easier to crank if the boat was sailing even at a knot or two. We were always in the tropics so don't know how well it would work with thicker oil in cold weather.

Did try hand starting the MD3. It was doable but significantly harder to get and keep it turning than it's smaller 2 cylinder brother. Two things made hand cranking these old Volvos relatively easy, the large flywheel and compression releases. The compression releases allow you to rotate the engine with the crank. The flywheel stored the energy needed to keep the engine turning when you dropped a compression release.

Still have the crank for that engine if anyone needs one.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 13:22   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Hand cranked the Volvo MD2 on our boat for 10 years. Almost always started on first try. Way easier to crank if the boat was sailing even at a knot or two. We were always in the tropics so don't know how well it would work with thicker oil in cold weather.

Did try hand starting the MD3. It was doable but significantly harder to get and keep it turning than it's smaller 2 cylinder brother. Two things made hand cranking these old Volvos relatively easy, the large flywheel and compression releases. The compression releases allow you to rotate the engine with the crank. The flywheel stored the energy needed to keep the engine turning when you dropped a compression release.

Still have the crank for that engine if anyone needs one.
Pete where are you sailing these days I could always use a spare crank handle
Old 04-09-2018, 14:11   #27

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Few modern engines have a hand start capacity, whern once m,any of them did. Even large engines using compressed air to start them had a hand-operated air pump to use in an emergency.

Flat batteries these days could mean death. Some jump starter is pretty much essential, and if your starter motor gives up the ghost, a becalmed boat is at the mercy of the current if the water is deep. In reef areas the depth of water changes quickly.

There is a big opening for someone making a start system that can be fitted to a diesel engine--like the old clockwork starters some cars once had. I would sure as hell buy one.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:21   #28

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Jammer, I carry a 12 v jumper pack that I use bought for portable power for a small portable anchor wash down pump. I’ve used it to jump start other people’s boats but never had to use it on my own. I also have a Honda 2000 generator that I use at anchor for battery charging and for tools. It would easily power my starter.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:25   #29

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Few modern engines have a hand start capacity, whern once m,any of them did. Even large engines using compressed air to start them had a hand-operated air pump to use in an emergency.

Flat batteries these days could mean death. Some jump starter is pretty much essential, and if your starter motor gives up the ghost, a becalmed boat is at the mercy of the current if the water is deep. In reef areas the depth of water changes quickly.

There is a big opening for someone making a start system that can be fitted to a diesel engine--like the old clockwork starters some cars once had. I would sure as hell buy one.

They are available here:

https://startwell.com/products/

But you have to choose whether you want one of those or an electric starter. I'm unaware of any engines with bellhousing openings for two starters at once.

The startwell spring ("clockwork") starters are available with standard SAE mounts. Yanmar doesn't use a standard SAE mount, so they aren't compatible.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:25   #30

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

One time I was in a fix I disconnected both batteries and hooked them together for 24 volts. My starter spun like crazy and I started my motor. I never noticed any damage. I continued with my normal routine. The boat I have now has the Volvo md7a with a v-drive. so I don't think its possible to hand crank. I wish someone could dream up a way to turn this engine over but I would need a second person to switch the compression lever. I hope I never need it. I always keep my inflatable and 5 hp Nissan ready. It works well to tow myself into a harbor if necessary.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine