Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48   #1

Sound Insulation for a Generator

I got a yamahainverter EF2000IF, which is quite quiet, specially when running low rpm...

I want to reduce the noise, for me and the neighbors while at anchor. I though in making a box for it,but is quite dificult since it needs good ventilation for the engine and for the exhaust. ....
Another option is using the "anchor box ", I can placed there on top of the chain in a wood platform that is holdeed by some "ropes" , so vibration and high regulation is done. this makes it pretty quiet but

Problems ,
I need to elongate the exhaust by one meter, is that problematic ?
Moving the generator inside the anchor box , I have to make turned 90 degrees, then placed flat, Is that a problem for the engine?.
If I have an eemergency with the anchor can create some problems....since I will need to move it....quick and hot.....

So a good box will be great.......any suggestion ???

The anchor place is perfect.....it really works
If the generator has intake air and exhaust ok, can be placed in a sound box ? or is impossible ?
Thanks
4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
re: Sound Insulation for a Generator

You will want forced draft ventilation. Passive ventilation will not be adequate. Look into one or two 120mm computer fans which could be powered by the 12 volt DC portion of the generator. This would be safer and more practical than installing a 120 volt fan. There is also sandwiched foam/rubber/mylar acoustic insulation that could be used inside the box. Sitting the generator on this foam would also minimize vibration transferred through the deck.

The exhaust heat is going to be a real problem if this is not done right, and I don't really know how this can be done adequately.

Have you compared the rated noise levels of your Yamaha generator with that of the Honda EU2000i? They are amazingly quiet generators, expensive yes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have a three cylinder diesel 10kw generator that I can run in a crowded marina and my next door neighbor doesn't know it's running. It was installed by the PO and he was a fanatic about noise on the boat. It is inside an insualated noise suppression enclosure that has the inside liner made up of high density foam/lead sandwich. The entire engine room is lined with this stuff. The enclosure is mounted on four air type rubber overload shock absorbers similar to what is used to increase thr load on an RV or truck camper unit.(but smaller) This is pumped up until the entire generator floats on a cushion of air. The exhaust is water cooled and would be a source of noise but it runs through a water seperator which makes it silent. Quietness of generators can be achieved. It annoys me when in a quiet anchorage I hear generators running. The technology is available to make them quiet and silent.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I believe the OP is asking about a portable generator. We have seen a few "exotic" enclosures. One boater had the genset in a large Igloo style cooler with a hole drilled for the exhaust, smaller vent holes drilled around the upper part of the box and the lid was propped open a bit when running. I have no idea how well it worked. My concern would be the heat from the exhaust on anything plastic. Do a Google search and you will see some ideas. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 14:18   #5

Yes I am talking about a portable generator....I thinkt that for now I donīt need anything else. I did some quick looks into diesel generators, they are big, expensive and heavy, but for pure cruising I think should be the best....
I am cruising with the family in sumer on the med, I have aded an "stimulator" of charge on the alternator, and I does really work stimulating the alternator to do the charging pretty quick, but I like to sail with no noise , so I avoid the engine if possible then at the anchorage ...I need to do some charging of the batteries, and I donīt want the noise neither the heat of the engine. So I decided to go for a portable gen. Basically for the refrigerator. I really looking into internet for "fancy boxes" but is not easy, I even did some trys by making a three sided box with some absorbing noise foam... but the anchor box is still the best....
Maybe making the exhaust only 1 meter going out of the anchor box,and making a new lid with the c12volts pcs, may be really good....
About yamaha and Honda genis about the same..the Yamaha it may be even more quiet...but still in an anchorage....
Still sugestions on boxes....I donīlike the plastic one...
Old 06-04-2013, 14:49   #6

My boat is an Elan 40...a cruiser- racer....and I do some regattas so I donīt want to overload...
About the box I was thinking also on those metalic boxes...used in military transportation, may be adding the 12 v fans and placing a good insulator like on the Lancerbye engine room... and adding exhausting.....will do it ......
Old 06-04-2013, 15:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Uninsulated, the metal box will transmit quite a bit of the noise. Line the interior with insulation
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 00:49   #8

My idea is insulation with some kind of really good sound proff liner like the good ones used in engine rooms ..., still may be wood will be better. Probably I will make a test of the design in wood ....

Tags
generator