Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2013, 15:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
solar/wind conversion.

So here's my plan, I'd like to know what you guy's think. I own a 1979 Pearson 365 ketch and will be using it to sail to the end of the world and want to go as green as I can. I have all the modern stuff a guy could want for entertainment(Flat screens,DVDS), cooking(Micro/toaster oven) etc.. My plan is to start with a good assessment of the amps I draw, including my heat/air. Get an inverter (pure sine)(w/charger) that can handle the start surge of the reverse cycle heat/air pump (15-16 amps 16000btu, 7-8 amps continuous) wire the inverter directly to my a/c panel for ease of use and then work my way out with new batteries, soft flexble solar and a wind turbine. I will add battery temp meters and a charge controller as well, with all the fuses and disconnects. I have three old batteries now but would like to replace them with something newer (perhaps lithium?) I'm sure I'll need more than I think, all though with todays MPPT controllers I might get lucky. I do have a Next Gen 3.5 kw generator which is already in need of repairs (POS!) and could barely handle this load, I would like a nice new Westerbeke 4 or 5kw depending on what I can fit in the aft laz. I am wondering if I can use surplus energy to dump off to my water heater. Well, thats my dream boat so now let's see if it's a feesable project shall we?
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:19   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: solar/wind conversion.

Microwave ovens ruin food. You dont need a microwave. Buy a wind gen and fit all the panels you can, if its not enough, add more panels. Solar watermaker might be a little much though, run the genny once a week.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull

I thank you for your reply. I do not have a watermaker and have re-directed my port and starboard scuppers to my water tanks with a valve system I devised. When it rains, I let the water wash the decks for a while to get rid of the salt, then open the re-direct valves to fill the tanks. A cap full of bleach in each tank keeps them clean. In a good storm I can fill two 50 gallon tanks in a flash. I have a third tank in the bow that can be filled with just a bit more effort.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 17:17   #4

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

If you want to go truly green, that means no generator!

We use only solar, no generator, no wind generator and no alternator, so this might help you to size your requirements. We have no a/c, no heating, no microwave, foot pumps for fresh and salt water, manual anchor winch, manual heads, Spectra watermaker, electric washdown pump, mostly LED lights, 4 fans, 12V hardwired PC, laptop, Ipad, sander, drill, grinder and assorted inverters. To run this long term through summer, winter and cloudy days, we have 880 Ah of battery capacity and 970 W of solar panels.

For your requirements, you will need around triple our system to go green. But 3 kW of panels won´t fit on a Pearson 365. You might want to take a big generator and big fuel tanks. Or ditch the microwave, replace the a/c with windchutes and efficient fans and replace the heating with a hot water bottle and a woman. The woman is dual purpose (like all boat gadgets should be), so you can ditch your entertainment centre and go for other more natural forms of entertainment. Cards for example.

Right now, you are proposing something that is unattainable on your boat on the water. You need to compromise.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 17:28   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Don't worry about where to dump surplus energy until you actually have some.

Your hunch that the first place to start is with an energy survey is a good one. I suggest you install something like a Link 10 battery monitor right away, so that you have an idea of how many AH you're going to need to replace each day.