Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 15:38   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Solar - Trying to keep this simple and not to technical.

Everyone is guessing here. How long does he run his TV and what is the draw from that?
Does he watch movies and does he use 4g for internet? What kind of lights does he have? What is the fridge draw?

He just said he wants suggestions as to how he can increase his power input.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 15:42   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That's a non issue in this case. OP lists San Pedro as home port, Solar Blvd is only 50 mi away. Easy drive to go pickup.

For those of you who keep suggesting PWM controllers, you really don't know what you're missing until you get an MPPT. To be clear, if someone gave me a PWM controller, I'd throw it in the trash. I would not even give it to someone else fearing that they might mistakenly waste their time installing it.

I've replaced 4 PWM controllers for customers with MPPT. They saw an immediate 25-35% increase in power out to the batteries with the same panels they thought might be defective. Since space is so scarce on a boat and some people go so far as to buy the most efficient panels to maximize their harvest, why go and waste that much power trying to save a couple of bucks? It makes no sense.
A couple bucks really
Max as I have said before and others have also said. A pwm is just fine max out on panels then if you still need more then switch ( if using 12v nom panels)
The comments by sc are appropriate not everyone that may benifit from this thread lives there. Shipping may be an issue.
Personally I will add another 100 watt panel and its own pwm controller for what a decent mppt controller would cost. (A fancy controller wont double my panel output.)
Old 25-03-2017, 16:00   #33

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
If you've got 600Ah, are on shore power normally and only need to power light loads for weekend trips, there is absolutely no need for solar.

Your bank should easily last for at least three days without recharging, if this is not the case either your batteries are getting too old or you have something (perhaps unknown) onboard that uses a lot of power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Apparently the entire first post.

He never stated, or even implied that he could run his boat off of the batteries the entire weekend. He did state that he wanted to stop running the Honda 2000 at night, which implies that he does run the Honda, including at night.

That's annoying for them, and those moored nearby. Solar power is a huge improvement in lifestyle.
Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps you, socaldmax have the reading difficulty. As I read the original post, and as seemingly seconded by txgor "firsted?" since he posted before I did), who is also quoted above, the OP uses shore power and/or a Honda to recharge the batteries after a weekend on a mooring (or, I suppose, a hook). Actually, only the OP can tell us for sure what he meant. Maybe he will. No matter what, I agree with your last two sentences, except I do not know what may annoy him.
Old 25-03-2017, 16:02   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
What am I reading incorrectly? If, as stated, the OP has adequate battery power for a weekend, won't any additional charge as provided by a system within his budget, simply prove a reserve, and therefore be sufficient to solve the "problem?"
That's the way I read it too.

Guess we need to wait until JS returns and clears up the question.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 17:22   #35

I see you have a 50 foot boat. It should be possible and I would say very desirable to permanently mount say on a Bimini or radar arch etc. I installed 4 of 135w (540w) panels several years ago on my 50 foot boat and almost never have to run a generator. Most days I am on full charge by mid morning. I use solid panels which are rather heavy and I know the new flexible panels are very light. I did regret not using them but years ago they were and are still rather expensive however as another poster said the longevity is questionable. They also generally have to be mounted to something solid in anycase with an air gap so the advantage of lightweight is somewhat mitigated. I have to say though that all my lights are LED, the fridge quite efficient and I generally use a windvane for self steering. However rarely does my house bank (400AH) go below 90%. I love the ability to make all the power I need without running a noisy, expensive, maintenance demanding, greenhouse polluting device. I also have a wind generator but since installing the panels it is very rarely used and the only reason I haven't removed it is because the mount doubles as a outboard motor hoist.

regards

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 17:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The op has 300ah nom to work with at the start of each weekend. Or did you miss the part about being on shorepower except on weekends when on the hook
Thinwater would be assuming that the batteries are not in new condition "maybe"

Like my 480 Ah bank of Lifelines that are 6 years old. Still got plenty of storage but not like new capacity.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 18:44   #37

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I think that the OP needs to determine his actual power consumption - living the way he does, not how we all might do or think he should. 300Ah over 3 nites is less than I use at 50°N with a fridge/ freezer in operation. Our biggest "hidden" draws were the charging of laptops/phones all the time and the constant opening of the fridge and freezer. Developing the power budget would allow the OP to know what his consumption actually is, maybe make some changes to that if he wants (or not), then appropriately size panels to give him the necessary boost.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:10   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
No reason to avoid the top 15%, unless you mean can't fully recharge, which IS "beating them down" as much or more than going below 50%.

So 300 AH available for use , at least in the first part of their lifetime.
Unless you are plugged in or run the generator for many hours, it is well established that reaching the last 15% is impractical for most cruisers on a regular basis. Yes, I do understand the sulfation issue.

And yes, assuming you have 100% of nameplate capacity is a poor design basis. Design for wear. Finally, in cold weather capacity is reduced (AHs are still there, but the minimum voltage becomes a problem).
Old 25-03-2017, 20:58   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Unless you are plugged in or run the generator for many hours, it is well established that reaching the last 15% is impractical for most cruisers on a regular basis. Yes, I do understand the sulfation issue.

And yes, assuming you have 100% of nameplate capacity is a poor design basis. Design for wear. Finally, in cold weather capacity is reduced (AHs are still there, but the minimum voltage becomes a problem).
The OP goes out to a mooring at weekends and is on shore power during the week. He will be at 100% SOC most of the time and will return to 100% SOC reasonably quickly once he returns to his home base after the weekend.

So in his case, he can safely plan on using 100% - 50% as his operating range.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 12:17   #40
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The OP goes out to a mooring at weekends and is on shore power during the week. He will be at 100% SOC most of the time and will return to 100% SOC reasonably quickly once he returns to his home base after the weekend.

Agreed if the batteries are near design capacity and daily loads are 25% design capacity.

However, for long weekends or vacations, he may wish to add some solar so he doesn't hafta stop at a marina every 48 hours to recharge and prevent hurting his batteries, and to "put a little extra in the bank".

As others have said, if he currently has to start the generator for 2 nights out, either the batteries are below design capacity, or daily loads are above 25% design capacity.

Worth checking out.

Everything else equal, inexpensive 2 x 100W flexible panels and PWM controller, is pretty cheap insurance to improve battery life expectancy and avoid having to listen to a generator when demand exceeds capacity.

If only it were so easy, inexpensive, (and legal in some places) to be off-grid in our homes.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 12:47   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottHuston View Post
We have a cutter sloop with:

- ONE (1) 4D 12v for the engine battery

&

- SIX (6) T-105 6v batteries wired in as twelve volt banks with a total of 600 amp hours (if my math is correct).

I charge them using shore power, the alternator on a running engine or a Honda 2000 Generator thru a Xantrex Freedom 3000 inverter/charger. I have all of this on an A/B switch to select house, engine or all (in and out) as well as Xantrex Link Line battery monitor.

I'd like to lay a portable panel on the deck while out on a mooring over weekends. Mostly to offset the refrig, radio & amp, lights, and various lite duty use for phone charging, etc. (We're not heavy on burning power during the day other than refrig and radio.) I'm hoping to minimize running the Honda 2000 at night, leaving a fully charged bank to run the TV, refrig and lights at night.

Is there a brand, size & output I should focus on that would work well during the day and could be stowed when not in use? And I guess I would install that into the A/B switch?

Any insight is appreciated.
If you really feel a need, find someplace to mount a panel. Stowing a panel sounds like having one insufficient to be worth the effort?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 13:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

The OP states that he has 3 sources of power - shore power, a Honda 2000 and the engine alternator.

Nowhere in his post does he state that he spends all week on shore power.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, solar