Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2020, 18:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27
Re: Solar to Battery Question

I would wire the controller to one of the 2 batteries directly, not the switch. By placing the switch in the "both" position you will charge both batteries.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 18:25   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

I bought a charge separator at a consignment store. One of the reasons I haven't installed it as I hear these old separators waste significant charging energy in their internal switching so aren't good on a boat not connected to shore power. Any truth to that??
If it is a diode isolator the loss will be about .7 volts. That means that any charge source set at 14.4 volts (typical) will be 13.7 volts at the battery. This is not good for batteries and diode isolators have gone out of favor for this reason. Pic of one below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isolator.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	227156  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 11:54   #18

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I believe you will find the answer is NO. Going through the 1-B-2 switch puts the charge between the batteries as two separate entities.
This is incorrect. With the switch in the 'both' position the batteries are paralleled. It doesn't make any difference where you attach that positive lead, it is still in parallel with both batteries. The only difference is in the length (and possible imbalance) of the wiring runs.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 11:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If it is a diode isolator the loss will be about .7 volts. That means that any charge source set at 14.4 volts (typical) will be 13.7 volts at the battery. This is not good for batteries and diode isolators have gone out of favor for this reason. Pic of one below.
Incidentally (slightly off topic here) you can use this property of diodes to your advantage. Most alternators have a voltage sense wire that is separate from the output. If you install a diode in that wire you can trick the old alternators (which are generally set to about 13.6-13.8V) to output at 14.4V (or whatever you like depending on the choice of diode).
Old 03-04-2021, 14:46   #20

Boat: Mariner (Canning) 28

Too many responses about adding other components, but like the OP, I’m about to install a 100w panel and controller on my “New to Me” boat. It has 2 batteries and a 1-B-2-Off switch.
I will look at the wiring tomorrow, but if the leads are split to 1&2, should I connect to just 1 battery or (+) of one and (-) of the other, and how would I charge both?
Many Hats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 19:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Hats View Post
Too many responses about adding other components, but like the OP, Iím about to install a 100w panel and controller on my ďNew to MeĒ boat. It has 2 batteries and a 1-B-2-Off switch.
I will look at the wiring tomorrow, but if the leads are split to 1&2, should I connect to just 1 battery or (+) of one and (-) of the other, and how would I charge both?
Well..... The 'official' answer is that with one (presumably single-bank) charge controller, one panel and two banks there is no 'proper' way to charge both banks at the same time. However, assuming one of those banks is a starting bank and the other is for house loads it's perfectly doable. Wire your controller to the house bankand charge it exclusively most of the time. Do you have a multimeter? Or even a panel voltage display? Every now and then, once your house bank is fully charged, parallel the banks (turn the switch to 'all') and monitor the voltage on the starting bank. Once it reaches absorption voltage let it sit there for about four hours and then switch back to house only. It's not perfect but it will work without having to buy any more stuff. The house bank should be heavy-duty enough that it won't suffer from the slight overcharge and the starting bank will stay topped up.

Of course, if you want to buy all sorts of new stuff there are many, many different options. :-)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:31   #22

Do you really need two batteries? As long as the OB has a hand start option (low battery) you can use the house battery for starting.
sstuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar