Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 09:43   #1

Boat: 1960's Alcort Sailfish
Solar Setup Adequate?

Just planned out the solar system, was wondering if I'm missing anything here.

Grape Solar 100-Watt Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel from home depot - $200

Genasun GV-10 10.5A 12V MPPT Solar Controller - $170

Two 90AH deep cycles - $200

Slightly oversize gauged wire - ? > $50 ?

Currently looking looking into DIY mounting bracket for the stern - any suggestions? > $ < ?

Thanks much!

Rocco & Freya

Grape Solar 100-Watt Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel GS-S-100-Fab36 at The Home Depot

https://genasun.com/products-store/s...lers/gv-10-pb/
RoccoFreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Solar Setup Adequate?

We have a similar set up, 80w + 45w charging 220 AH house bank.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOA2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	48422   Click image for larger version

Name:	MOA1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	48423  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:16   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

The MPPT controller is expensive and not cost effective. A simple Morningstar pwm controller s about $50.

Also make sure that you fuse the wire near the battery.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum Rocco and Freya.

Don't forget the fuses/circuit breakers.
The Gensun regulators are very good for this sized panel.
Cheers.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 13:42   #5

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '
Are the solar panels from Home Depot durable? I would like to get a panel, and am interested in these.
Is this the best value? Thanks. I am also interested in the cheap controller someone mentioned. I would appreciate any information.
kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:01   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

(I assume you are talking a 100W - 12V panel):

IMHO you will be better of with a PWM controller and the balance spent on another panel. PWM may give you 10% gain, but 170 bucks buys you another panel - and this DOUBLES your generating potential ....

Also, you do not need two batteries, unless you have another charge source (or else if you have that big power consumption AND another charge source).

A 100 W panel at 12 Volt will deliver maybe 6A. Count on 4-7 solar hours depending on your location. Maybe 30+ Ah each day. Hence no need for two 90 Ah batteries. One should be just about adequate (solar installation only). Remember some of the juice may be used along the day, unless you are going to use power only at night.

Go one step forward and start with how much consumption you expect, what other charge sources you have, then plan the system about the data.

As re mounts - making them so that you can chase the sun (angle!) and so that there is minimal shading throughout the day is well worth the effort. Just cast eye over cosine function then divide the nominal output. (!!!) You will get shocked.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:59   #7

www. sunelec .com has this type of charge controller: Morningstar Solar Charge Controller SL-20L-12V - - It's Free! (It's not free)

I would go with the 20A one in case you buy a second panel in the future.

Just remember to add some diodes N404's or (something like that) at Radio Shack if you wire two or more panels. Actually, even with just one, make sure your battery doesn't drain back into the panel at night by using a diode. I can find out if you want to know for sure.

I haven't mounted it on a boat (yet), but that is what I have done with an 80W panel. I used a SunSaver Morningstar Solar Charge Controller SS-20L-12V [SS-20L-12V] : but I think the one above lets you set the battery voltage where it disconnects. I would ask them though.

Have you figured out what your power draw will be? And what time of day you will be using the power. I let someone else figure out if twox100W panels would be better than 2 batteries. There are pros and cons to both. I would also recommend looking into using 12V charging or power supplies to avoid the inverter losses.

Look at where other people have mounted their solar panels to on their boats. I don't know if someplace sells sailboat mounts for solar panels.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:13   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

My comments are if you are not space limited, you will find a poly panel less costly. Batteries-- everybody need them and everybody has their own preferences. Two 90 amp batteries for $200 will not provide the same storage as two golf carts from Sam's Club rated at 230AH for about $80 each.

Wiring-- IMHO the best way to size wire is to calculate the voltage drop between the panel and where it enters either the batteries or at least battery cables. And remember, the wire distance is times 2. This of course presumes you're going to use a PWM controller which you will unless you have a high voltage panel. A small voltage drop in the panel wiring won't mean much because a PWM controller is not going to trade voltage for current. Do a worst case analysis and go with it. I lost count where some have gone to 00 copper wiring and gained nothing. Of course, if your controller is located at/near the panel and not near the batteries, then voltage drop is very important.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
(I assume you are talking a 100W - 12V panel):

IMHO you will be better of with a PWM controller and the balance spent on another panel. PWM may give you 10% gain, but 170 bucks buys you another panel - and this DOUBLES your generating potential ....

Cheers,
b.
Did you mean MPPT--

And yes of course he should consider another panel if he can.
Old 17-10-2012, 18:27   #10

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Here's a 120W for $174.00. 2 plus shipping is still a little better than the Home Depot price, and more wattage.

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

I don't know anything else about them though. They're the ones I was thinking about getting.

Old 17-10-2012, 18:33   #11

Yes, and Amazon has 145 watt poly panels for $164 with free shipping. Must purchase them in pairs though. I have 4 of them, 2 on my boat and 2 in my garage waiting for next season to install. I am pleased with them!
Old 17-10-2012, 18:36   #12

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yes, and Amazon has 145 watt poly panels for $164 with free shipping. Must purchase them in pairs though. I have 4 of them, 2 on my boat and 2 in my garage waiting for next season to install. I am pleased with them!
Thanks for the heads up foggysail!
I'll check into the ones on Amazon!
Old 17-10-2012, 18:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
Thanks for the heads up foggysail!
I'll check into the ones on Amazon!

You're welcome! I learned about Amazon here in the forum this last summer prior to making my first purchase. This forum site has many, many fine contributors far more knowledgeable than I .

BE CAREFUL WITH AMAZON!!!! Those panels are so attractively priced, they sell out quickly. If they are gone, out of stock, might take another 3-4 weeks before they get restocked. They did have them tonight.

Foggy
Old 17-10-2012, 22:16   #14

I should have asked more about what batteries you are using. Make sure you get some good ones.

I don't have a critical need for a lot of power, and it does cost 3-4x more, but Lithium batteries will last longer and take more abuse... I switched to one with that solar panel system above and it works fine.

I would also make sure you wire in a breaker and at night if you don't need any power, and you will wake up before the sunrise, you can flip the switch to disconnect the battery to prevent anything from draining it. (Or maybe I am just paranoid because it happened to me).
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 22:44   #15

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

We've gotten our panels from ....

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Renewable Energy, Wind Energy, Charge Controller, Solar Trackers - Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

.... solarblvd and they have a 100 watt for $145 right now and a 140 for $203. You might also look at the other post on here about "solar - best prices"...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ces-91194.html

We have gone with MPPT controllers to maximize our output since we are maxed out on both boats now with panels. They have a Blue Sky MPPT 25 amp for about $180 if you also want to go that route and would give you more room for growth down the road if you go that way.

Any decent controller will stop the batteries from draining back at night so I wouldn't use the extra diodes as they will hurt performance of the panels/controller.

Here is a link the the 200 watts we have on our MacGregor...

Macgregor 26S Outside Mods page 33

For the Endeavour follow the link below and good luck,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar