Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2009, 11:49   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Sorry, I just wanted to make it clear to other boaters that a flashing yellow light did not necessarily mean a construction zone at sea. It might mean there is something big, dangerous and dark heading your way.

Yes and that is a good point! Sadly there have been a number of references lately to sailors using flashing strobes to be "better seen" on some other forums and I don't know where this thinking came from..?
Old 24-12-2009, 15:47   #17

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
flashlight/flashing light

Me thinks Sailmonkey's origianal post was talking about flashlight nav lights consisting of, a flashlight with a two color lens and a cheap c-clamp made to attach a very non approved red/green to the front of a small aluminum or fiberglass open runabout. I recieved one of these as a gift from a well meaning friend once, never used it.

A flashing strobe light is legal to use as a distress signal only on pleasure craft, or used to be anyway, as far as I know, but don't quote me on that, I think...
Old 26-12-2009, 18:17   #18

Boat: islandpacket
Dont use the cheap solar yard light as an anchor light. I just came down the ICW for my first time and a few boats were using them and you could hardly see them and they were off before first light. But it was better than the many others that didn't even use an anchor light. And now I under the complaint of the many derelict boats both floating and otherwise down the coast. I could not beleve what some people were living on.