Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 10:38   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Solar prices are about to go up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I never stated anything less however this current line has dealt with pure ev I was pointing out the emissions and pollution of hybrid vehicles with limited electric range and actually dependant on fossil fuel for 90% of its motive force. Hiding behind the ( a hybrid so its eco-friendly ) mantra.

The Prius I have had since 2010 has returned on average over 50 MPG, which is its MPG rating.
100% of its power is from gasoline. Just from its fuel consumption alone being half or less than average it’s tough to not make a case for it being eco friendly.
While some of the green programs are I’m sure just a way to fleece the taxpayer and increase the wealth of a few, not all are, some of it works.
However if the subsidies and tax breaks etc were to end, then we would find out the truth, until then, who knows?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:43   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Solar prices are about to go up

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Prius I have had since 2010 has returned on average over 50 MPG, which is its MPG rating.
100% of its power is from gasoline. Just from its fuel consumption alone being half or less than average it’s tough to not make a case for it being eco friendly.

While some of the green programs are I’m sure just a way to fleece the taxpayer and increase the wealth of a few, not all are, some of it works.
from the fuel economy aspect it is great however when you take in cradle to grave pollution its no better or worse than most other vehicles.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:38   #78

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Every time I get behind a Prius on the highway doing 50 MPH in a 70 zone (often in the passing lane) I think, "I could get 50 MPG too, IF I went that slow!

But of course, you have to factor in the environmental impact of all the accidents caused by cars swerving around those "rolling roadblocks."

I often wonder how much better mileage all our vehicles could get if we put a huge MPG display in the center of the dash, instead of our current MPH display.
Old 04-11-2017, 13:31   #79

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by normdeeley View Post
......... Coal and oil are dead.
Yea, sure they are.

How will I put 60 gallons of solar in my boat? Or 20 gallons in my truck?
Old 04-11-2017, 13:33   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yea, sure they are.

How will I put 60 gallons of solar in my boat? Or 20 gallons in my truck?
that's easy you put whatever fuel the vehicle uses . It did originate as solar power millions of years ago.
Old 04-11-2017, 13:35   #81

Boat: C&C 34

Geeez how about we use all of it? Why hate one or the other?

Solar, hydro and wind are great and get better every year. We will see much more of it in the future. And why not? The internal combustion engine took over a century to get where it is today and the renewables are only going to get better and cheaper as time goes on.

Aircraft and large ships aren't going to be powered by renewable energy anytime soon. They get more efficient and cleaner with each generation.

Everyone buying a Prius isn't the answer either. One guy driving to work in his Prius is putting a much bigger dent in the environment than four people in an SUV/car that gets 20 mpg. If you really care, carpool to work.

Lets also not forget that probably 99% of us use fossil fuels to power our boats and there really is not a good renewable replacement currently or likely in the near future.

How we use the tools(vehicles) we have is just as important as the tool.
Old 04-11-2017, 13:35   #82

Boat: C&C 34

Oh yeah, I hope solar panels don't get more expensive
Old 04-11-2017, 13:36   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
As a cruiser I won't be visiting America ie USA until you get a new president who can see beyond his p.......
If you're going to insult our President then you're welcome to stay away forever.
Old 04-11-2017, 13:45   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
Electric Vehicles are only pollution free at the point of use. They still need energy and that's usually supplied over the grid meaning EV's export pollution from city centres, they don't reduce it..
It's amazing to me how many people don't understand that, even seemingly "educated" people.

The pollution is just moved from the city to some poor rural neighborhood where the city dwellers can't see or smell it.. And much of the energy produced is lost in transmission and the inefficiencies of charging batteries.
Old 04-11-2017, 13:51   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
..............I often wonder how much better mileage all our vehicles could get if we put a huge MPG display in the center of the dash, instead of our current MPH display.
My 2017 Toyota Camry and Tacoma pickup have exactly that. The problem is, the general public doesn't care about efficiency. They take off from a traffic light like a bat out of hell then drive up to a red light and hit the brakes at the last minute. And of course, they do a lot of unnecessary driving in the first place. People in my neighborhood drive their children to the school bus stop even if it's three blocks from home. And then they sit in their cars idling until the bus comes.
Old 04-11-2017, 14:05   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you're going to insult our President then you're welcome to stay away forever.
Wow. A substantial majority of Americans are insulting Trump these days. I probably insult Trump 2 or 3 times a day. I seem to remember a lot of people who liked to insult Obama when he was president. Seems pretty American.

If we're going to apply your test, then we might find other countries telling American cruisers to stay away "forever" as you suggest. It would only seem fair. Their interest in our tourist dollar only goes so far.

I welcome James and hope he changes his mind against coming. The whole idea of America is to welcome people from other places and the great majority of cruisers do. He'll certainly find plenty of American cruisers who share his views about Trump although I think those on both sides of the political spectrum would be better off talking about sailing
Old 04-11-2017, 14:20   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I couldn't make a case to buy a Hybrid vehicle until the plug-able hybrids came out. Now I need a place where I can plug in to charge. Actually many people could use a straight EV and come out ahead of the game in cost. It works best if you have your own home and works great if you can supplement your charging with solar and something like a power wall. I think that solar really makes sense when you have battery backup as it smooths out the power drawn from or sent to the grid. Robert Llewellyn of the FullyChargedShow has a good video on the Tesla PowerWall. He runs 2 EVs.
Plugable Hybrids make sense if you are driving longer distances, but many people that have bought them claim almost all power from the batteries. Timing your charge times for low cost power rates is key.

I hope this make sense. But do watch the video.
Old 04-11-2017, 16:35   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Wow. A substantial majority of Americans are insulting Trump these days. I probably insult Trump 2 or 3 times a day. .................
They (and you) are welcome to leave at any time.
Old 04-11-2017, 16:50   #89

Boat: Able 50

Solyndra received total handouts of $610 million and still went bust. Oh well.

While I'm here, fans of Tesla should exercise a little caution. The company is currently burning $16 million per day so chapter 11 looms some time next year.
Old 04-11-2017, 17:23   #90

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Solar energy has its place.
I have it on my boat to help charge batteries. Perfect !
Putting them on my house makes no sense, practically or economically.

The US Fed has plowed billions of tax payer dollars over the last decade, into solar.
Return on investment so far ? 0

When the technology becomes economically feasible then it will support itself.

In the mean time ....let it go.

Simple Free Market principle.
The problem is likely your house. A small home, well designed and insulated, with efficient lighting should certainly be able to be powered by solar. I live on my boat with 700 watts of solar providing nearly all of the power. Most houses are bigger than my boat, but so are their roof tops.
Closed Thread

Tags
price, solar