Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 09:49   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Solar Panels - horizontal or angled?

My experience is that other things matter much more, sharing is deadly.

Where your boat lays is important because that drives what shades. On the hook in the trades you will be pointing eastward. So anything on the starboard side may shade. My wind gen is on the stb side, because of prop walk and docking not good but required. The radar was a problem until I moved it, now much less of a problem. Optimum is to be in slip pointed North.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:02   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Have you noticed any difference in dirt or salt built up between the sloped panels and the flat panels? I am speculating if some slight natural water flow aids in self cleaning.
Not so much salt, but dirt and sand from the Sahara if we get a southerly is quite bad. So I don't want a pool of water drying and leaving marks on the glass.

Does it make a difference? lots of smears if you don't clean it properly do We have a window squeeze thing because I can't reach the back of the panel.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:40   #48

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Put them on a hinge so they can be rotated. Best of both. That's what I did.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:52   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Put them on a hinge so they can be rotated. Best of both. That's what I did.
Hmm, yes but big 300w panels have a big single piece of glass and whilst mine are held to the arch tube with u bolts, so could tilt the risk of one corner moving and the other staying put followed by a big cracking sound kind of puts me off. Smaller panels on the guardrails I could see being tilted.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 12:46   #50

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, yes but big 300w panels have a big single piece of glass and whilst mine are held to the arch tube with u bolts, so could tilt the risk of one corner moving and the other staying put followed by a big cracking sound kind of puts me off. Smaller panels on the guardrails I could see being tilted.

Pete
I have 7 300 amp panels set into simple aluminum frames. Each frame with 2 ubolts and lines pull on the frame from the forward and aft edges so therr is no diagonal strain. I've had the panels for 11 years. The 2 lines join so there is only one pull. I have 2 frames with 2 panels and 1 frame with 3 panels total 7, but see it any way you want.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 15:25   #51

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think any gain of one sides angled panel will be offset by a loss on the other angled panel. At best it will just equal out. Meanwhile the angled panels lose sun during the peak hours.

My vote is go flat.
Absolutely. Easier mounting also.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 07:44   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

Quote:
Which of the two solar panel arrangements in likely to be more effective in general.???

Both have the same area (3 sq m). Arrangement 'A' is completely horizontal (at rest) where as arrangement 'B' has 1.5 sq m horizontal and two 'wings' each 0.75 sq m) angled (fixed) say 45 degrees (or maybe 30 degrees) from horizontal.

Assuming a mono hull, aligned fore and aft as shown, no shading from rig etc, used both underway and anchored, used at any latitude from 0 to say 45 and each panel has its own MPPT charge controller.
Consider a simple fore/aft articulating frame. Mine has 2 simple locking hand bolts, and a 9/16 bolt to lock the frame horizontal when I leave the boat or for a storm.
In the evening I set my panels to face where I think the sun will rise, based on the prevailing wind. During the day I adjust to keep the sun at right angle to the panels. I can also watch my solar regulator for maximum volts/current while adjusting the angle.

I can follow the sun from horizon to horizon. I just have 2 - Kyocera 135w panels, yet they keep my 4 - battery banks fully charged without the need to run the engine. (Fridge and freezer compressors, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E904154-6A68-42D1-840D-183D3BBD1DC5.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	236686  
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:53   #53

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Edge case [emoji16]. https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa...ont-die-2021-4
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 14:45   #54

Boat: Colegate 26

I stand by my prior statement that flat is the way to go, and also that a slight slope is the way to go. You can see the difference in my two solar panel locations on my catamaran.

The near panels have about 5 degree slant and the far panels are nearly horizontal. This is what they look like with tree pollen, but they also get standing water, which comes off in a great big splash when the boat gets rocked. I have yet to correct the issue.

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 14:51   #55
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks Loud Music, I gotta agree.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 13:01   #56

Quote:
Which of the two solar panel arrangements in likely to be more effective in general.???

Both have the same area (3 sq m). Arrangement 'A' is completely horizontal (at rest) where as arrangement 'B' has 1.5 sq m horizontal and two 'wings' each 0.75 sq m) angled (fixed) say 45 degrees (or maybe 30 degrees) from horizontal.

Assuming a mono hull, aligned fore and aft as shown, no shading from rig etc, used both underway and anchored, used at any latitude from 0 to say 45 and each panel has its own MPPT charge controller.
I installed 6x100W RockPals (600W) - https://solwiser.com/am-solar-panel-reviews/ solar panels on my boat in 2020; two on top of the dodger and four on top of a new stern arch. Horizontal panels will probably give maximal Ah power generated per day.
DavidBeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 15:24   #57
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard CF, DavidBeger.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 03:20   #58

Quote:
Welcome aboard CF, DavidBeger.
Thx
DavidBeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 00:10   #59

Boat: Puma 435

There is a manufacturer in Spain that sells and ships some arches that are assembled without the need for welding, adaptable to any boat and with a rotating frame for the panels that tilt towards the position of the sun.

https://www.autocazantes.com/en-gb/portiques-3/
Nefta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels