Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 08:58   #1

Boat: S2 11.0a
Solar panel and controller sources

I'm looking to upgrade solar on my boat and am having a hard time location a source for a single solar panel and controller ... who do you all recommend?

(Lots of folks will sell you a pallet of panels!)

I am in the USA in Florida ... I know shipping can be very expensive!

Thanks!
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:07   #2

Re: Solar panel and controller sources

Solar controllers aren't hard to find - I buy mine from pkys.com as they usually have the best prices. I've had the same trouble with panels though, I'm trying to source 2 - LG 435 watt panels. There is one company in California and one in Florida - the one in FL is more expensive even not including shipping costs! All I can guess is that online retail for single solar panels is not common solely because of the shipping costs. Perhaps better to find a residential installer and buy through them?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:15   #3

Boat: S2 11.0a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Solar controllers aren't hard to find - I buy mine from pkys.com as they usually have the best prices. I've had the same trouble with panels though, I'm trying to source 2 - LG 435 watt panels. There is one company in California and one in Florida - the one in FL is more expensive even not including shipping costs! All I can guess is that online retail for single solar panels is not common solely because of the shipping costs. Perhaps better to find a residential installer and buy through them?
I have a request with a local installer ... I'll post how that goes!
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:33   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I had a good experience with emarine, however, they are in Fort Lauderdale.

Called and asked if they had what I wanted in stock, pulled into the parking lot the same day, left with a 375 watt panel and three Victron controllers, two of which to go with other panels already installed on the boat.

https://www.emarineinc.com/
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:45   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The pair of panels on my boat came from Solaris (https://www.solaris-shop.com/)
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 10:28   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Amazon!

Solar kit for example has free shipping.

Victron Controller- free shipping

170 watt panel- free shipping
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 10:48   #7

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I bought some panels (Renogy) from Amazon last year. They were well priced and well packed in a strong box with corner protectors on the panels. Their price on controllers was not as good so I bought that locally. This year I considered adding an additional panel and controller and found that their controller prices seem to be more competitive than last year.

Their selection of flexible panels is not great. But I have chosen to use hard panels so selection wasn't a problem.
Old 21-09-2021, 08:45   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. I want to buy three of the highest capacity panels I can find, in the 430-450 watt range, with a strong preference for bifacial units. Very hard to source...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 09:08   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

Source depends on your requirements and budget. I bought a Panasonic from Solaris, shipment by truck. Their shipping cost was the lowest I could find. Custom Marine Products sells the SunPower panels; very expensive but also perhaps the most efficient panels currently available.I bought two 150W panels which just arrived in Kemah. The selection depends somewhat on the available space. I was able to install one Panasonic HIT 340W and two SunPower 150W panels on a frame over my bimini, a difficult installation due to the split backstay and limited space available.
Both sources were efficient and easy to deal with. So it's not just the Watt rating of the panel but also the module efficiency that determines what you will get in amp hours per day from your array.
Old 21-09-2021, 09:25   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
So it's not just the Watt rating of the panel but also the module efficiency that determines what you will get in amp hours per day from your array.
A 400 watt panel is a 400 watt panel. It doesn't matter if one is 15% efficient and one is 20%, they'll both produce the same power under ideal conditions.
However, the 15% efficiency panel will be physically larger to reach 400w output.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 09:29   #11

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

+1 for Custom Marine Products (CMP). I got a 140W panel from them several years back and recently added a 200W and a pair of 70W semi flexible panels. The CMP panels are a little more expensive but work very well; all built with Sun Power cells. Tom Trimmer (both Sr and Jr) are great to work with and follow through on any support issues you may have

They carry a range of Victron items that should take care of most solar installations.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 10:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A 400 watt panel is a 400 watt panel. It doesn't matter if one is 15% efficient and one is 20%, they'll both produce the same power under ideal conditions.
However, the 15% efficiency panel will be physically larger to reach 400w output.
You're right but in my case, size matters. Mine hang on the davits and are currently 59 inches long, 400 watt panels typically run 79-82 inches long - 23 inches longer than what I have now. I just can't see adding that much length. LG435 watt panels are 75 inches long, and 400 watt panels are 68 inches long.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 11:44   #13

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Amazon!

Solar kit for example has free shipping.

Victron Controller- free shipping

170 watt panel- free shipping

+1 for Amazon and the internet. Often Amazon is a direct link to the manufacturer.
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 12:07   #14

Boat: Passport 42
Send a message via AIM to CelestialMelody

I've had good luck with
NORTHERN ARIZONA WIND & SUN

For panels and PKYS for controllers
CelestialMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 13:09   #15

Boat: Beneteau 43

Try The Yacht Rigger (Brian was who helped us) in St. Pete. We got 2 - 400+ watt panels and controllers from them in May. Great to deal with and near you.
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar