Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 13:21   #256
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Smartgauge w/ 3 batterys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
What is your source of this comment - references please.
All else being equal, AGM are less robust than flooded, quality FLA stand up to all kinds of abuse better and last longer.

If you aren't going to properly care for your bank, you won't get your money's worth, should just get flooded.

Unless the high CAR or sideways mounting is required, or the lower maintenance is worth the much higher cost.

Maine Sail's just one authority but one I thoroughly respect

> The importance of getting back to 100% SOC, as often as possible, can not be over emphasized. Here Lifeline Battery is referring to the "walk down" effect of PSOC use (partial state of charge cycling). By not recharging to 100%, as often as possible, your Ah capacity will gradually "walk down" as sulfation becomes permanent and ruins them.

> For more information on the effects of PSOC cycling AGM batteries see the May 2015 and August 2015 issues of Practical Sailor Magazine.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/e...on_agm_battery

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...choice.124973/

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/p...attery_monitor
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 16:42   #257

Boat: Valiant 42
Smartgauge w/ 3 batterys

I don't agree that AGM are less robust. They can take much higher bulk charge rates than flooded cell batteries. They also can deliver very high current.

Even flooded batteries lose life if not charged sufficiently to reduce sulfate build up. Flooded batteries can be safely equalized whereas most AGMs cannot according to their manufacturer.

There are many features of AGM that are preferred over plain flooded cells. I would not say they are not robust. At least the ones I have used proved very hard to damage. Equalizing was the only thing they couldn't do.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:41   #258
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

My statement was about longer life and standing up to abuse.

AGM *require* higher charge rates for longevity, and their high CAR is a performance feature for those looking to minimize dino juice runtime.

FLA's low CAR is a point in favor of a solar-only setup.

Yes PSOC abuse also affects FLA, but you're not wasting as much money, and all else being equal, FLA will last longer.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 21:26   #259

Boat: Bristol 47.7

How about any health hazard from gassing off as a reason to go AGM over FLA? I know all LA batts. do it, but AGM's apparently do so less, and Lifeline claims their batts. have a recirculating valve (as do some FLA's I believe). As I recall, any potential harm is somewhat overblown, but in my case all of the battery boxes are directly underneath the bed in the aft cabin. If I went with T-105's next go-around, I'm looking at fitting about 10 6v batts. in the boxes which now house my Lifelines. Does gassing only occur during charging?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 22:00   #260

Boat: Catalina 470

Correct regulator setting and water saving caps limits gassing quite alot.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 21:44   #261

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
2 data points.

My friend, the one I was considering developing the Raspberry Pi battery monitor / analyzer with, reported that his Smart Gauge "doesn't have a clue what is going on when charging". He is a pretty rational, logical guy. I don't believe he would have said this if it was out by the supposed 10% accuracy, which I understand to be +/-10% of full scale (100%).
So what happened to this battery monitor project, if I may ask?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery