Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 16:09   #1
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Small engine question

Here's my tale of woe:

I loaned my Honda EU2000i generator to a "friend". Before I loaned it out, it ran like a top. Always started on the first or second pull, 100% reliable, no problems what so ever. It has a 4-stroke, 1 cylinder gas engine.

When it was returned to me, however, it did not run so well. It does not want to start cold and when it does, will only run (and not very well, at that) when the choke is fully closed. Any attempt to open the choke (regardless of engine temp) results in the engine dying immediately. When questioned, my "friend" indicated that the engine died soon after she started using it and she took it upon herself to change the oil (why, I don't know) and install a new spark plug. I've checked the plug for type and gap and they are fine. She claims she did nothing else to the engine.

Based on all that, does anybody have a clue what this person could have actually done to it or why it will now only run when fully choked? Thanks.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 16:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Choking the engine reduces the air vs. fuel supply. To me it would indicate a fuel delivery problem. Check and clean the fuel system including tank pick up, lines and filter.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:37   #3

Boat: Knysna 480
I bet it got bad gas. Does the gas have a lacquered smell. How old was the gas. My Honda snow blower behaved the same way when my son put year old gas in the tank. Try removing the old gas and putting in new.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:53   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am suspecting old or dirty gas now as well. We did put new gas in the day she returned it and that was no help, but I think I'm going to pull the carb and soak it in carb cleaner overnight and see it that does the trick.
Old 11-01-2009, 17:55   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Pull the carburetor off and clean it......I have worked on a couple of these and it was always "bad" gas.....Get a carburetor cleaning kit. It is about the size of a gallon paint can and has a basket that you soak the parts in...Gumout makes one and so does Gunk
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 18:42   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Pull the carburetor off and clean it......I have worked on a couple of these and it was always "bad" gas.....Get a carburetor cleaning kit. It is about the size of a gallon paint can and has a basket that you soak the parts in...Gumout makes one and so does Gunk
OK, I bought a cleaning kit. Am I correct in assuming the carb gaskets will need to be replaced?
Old 11-01-2009, 19:02   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
A lot of carbs have an o-ring that can be re-used.
My outboard has one. Dunno about the generator.

PS. I would have just flushed/sprayed it and tried new gas first.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 19:17   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
A lot of carbs have an o-ring that can be re-used.
My outboard has one. Dunno about the generator.

PS. I would have just flushed/sprayed it and tried new gas first.
This one has a gasket between the carb and air filter housing and also between the carb and manifold. I did spray it down several time with carb cleaner and new gas was put in the day she returned it to me. Still doesn't run properly.
Old 11-01-2009, 19:38   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I am sure you drained the old gas before spraying.

Possible she dinged it somehow?

Possible leak (air) of some sort. This could be a gasket thing but I don't replace unless damaged or taken off/on several times (check for damage of course).

Does it have a thin central tube inside of the main jet? Sometimes these develop a crack and will cause these symptoms - a Honda guy told me that.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 22:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Once again this sounds like a lean mixture problem. That could be insufficient fuel. If you are sure you have the fuel system sorted it could also be an air leak downstream of the carb.

i.e. in the manifold. Look for loose bolts etc etc. depending on airflow you could use a smoke generator (cigarette or incense) waved near the seams - if you find a place on the manifold sucking you need to fix that.

Another way to test for this is to spray carb cleaner around the joints while running. A change (usually increase) in RPM indicates a manifold leak.

Another thought is to make sure the gasket under the carb to manifold joint is no unidirectional. I don't know your exact unit but sometimes there is a drilled air passage from manifold to carb. If the gasket blocks it you will have issues.

Another way to test for this is to spray carb cleaner around the joints while running. A change (usually increase) in RPM indicates a manifold leak.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:26   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Using the right hole...

Did she put the oil where it's 'sposed to go or did she put it in the fuel tank?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:51   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I was just thinking the same. It may have been run for a short period of time without oil. A compression test may be in order.

Its really suspicious why she would change the oil. Could it be to mask over a screw up on her part? Maybe she wanted to top up the coolant so she put coolant down the oil fill? I don't know...just a suspicion.

Do you think she may have added 2-stroke oil to the gas?...not knowing you don't need to.

People do the craziest things sometimes when they don't know any better.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 00:32   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
This also happened to me. A friend borrowed a weed eater from me and not only did he not return it...I had to go get it where upon he told me it would not star. The fuel he put in was black and he told me it was only 3 years old...Geeeez!!! The main jet tube has tiny side holes in it that double as an idle jet. Spray cleaner will not work. You have to dismantle the jets and poke fine wires through them then spray. Hope you get it going.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 10:26   #14

Boat: grampian 26
Dirty high speed jet
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 10:49   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update- Because they are relatively cheap, I bought a brand new carb for the generator and bolted it up last night. The generator started right up, ran like a champ and the choke works as it should. Problem solved. Thanks for all the help.
Anybody need a used carburetor for a Honda EU2000i generator?

Tags
engine