Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 07:37   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Simrad IS11

Just completed passage from Florida to BVI and unfortunately lost visibility on my depth display along the way. Unit seems to be fine other than 3/4 of the LCD not lighting up. My question is, how can I replace the depth display without upgrading the entire system? I will upgrade it all at the end of the season but have my better half arriving tonight for several weeks and she'd rather be out enjoying herself than stuck in a boatyard. I'd rather have a bot more time to decide which instruments to go with.

The S11 seems to operate on unique NMEA 0183 sentences and therefore it looks like picking up simple depth display from another manufacturer will not work. Any ideas? Does anyone know if I can wire up the IS20 mullti-purpoase through its proprietary connector? I called Simrad but they're not open for Support on weekends. The good news is my lady is in the Bay Area tonight through 7:00 PM and can most likely source parts if I can find out what is needed.
Old 21-12-2013, 07:59   #2

Re: Simrad IS11

BTW, happy to pay for technical support. Just can't find anyone locally and don't know where to go on weekends.

Another thought is to use the existing 205mhz transducer with a standalone display. Attempting research via Google at the moment.
Old 21-12-2013, 08:15   #3

Boat: Farrier f27
Depth finders aren't critical gear particularly in BVI. Just enjoy being there and take your time to repair it right or decide on your best replacement. It'd be a waste of time to spend it in a boatyard for both of you.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 07:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

PSC34:

Looks like there's one in FL available:

eBay listing here
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 13:10   #5

Wanted to bring this thread to a proper close.

The Simrad depth gauge never materialized so I took a different approach. A handyman from the local Moorings facility sold me a used st50 combo gauge that miraculously worked with the old Simrad depth transducer. I wired the transducer direct to the instrument and stole 12v from the Simrad NMEA bus. Not sure if the current draw burned up the Simrad computer or it was just timing but it has since passed. I've ordered a new set of Raymarine IS60/50 gauges.

Useful tidbit. The Simrad depth and speed transducers will work with the latest Raymarine instruments. No haulout, drilling, or 5200! Haven't looked into the wind transducer as that is a wear item to me and I want to replace.

Tags
simrad