Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 22:49   #1

Simple Solar System Solid State Relay Design

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8...stemcutout.jpg

I have a simple 80W solar system setup, and I have determined that there is something draining my battery when it is hooked up and not in use. It has killed a lead acid battery and drained a lithium iron one down pretty low before I was able to recharge it. And I do have diodes attached in line with the solar panels to prevent the battery from draining back into them. But, I'm not really sure what is going on with the panels when there is very little sunlight, and the SunSaver says it is charging, but the voltage from the panels is too low.

So, I have looked into how I can use solid state relays to disconnect the solar panels when they aren't producing power above 10V using this solid state relay
CRYDOM|EL100D10-12|SOLID-STATE PANEL MOUNT RELAY | Newark.com

I'm not sure if my SunSaver would do this if I hooked it up to the load terminals though? It will disconnect loads if the battery voltage goes below 10.5 or something. So in the picture, the one for the inverter won't be needed.

Are there any obvious flaws to this idea that you can see?

Thanks
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 23:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Simple Solar System Solid State Relay Design

Have you got a multimeter?

I'm on my second. First cost $10 and the probe broke. Current one was a fair bit more, but has a thick plastic case. It looks like it could be dropped (I'm not checking).

I like to run round the boat checking odd things (thru hulls, solar panel, batteries) to see what their voltage is. If you did this night and day you'd have a better idea of what's going on.

I'd suspect your batteries if they are old and have had a hard life.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar