Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2015, 04:14   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Simple Custom Switch Panel

I've been meaning to post a picture of my custom switch panel for about 5 years now and tonight's the night!

It's a bit different to the high end custom panels and the low end over the counter items but it suits my needs and I like to think it is keeping with the boat - 31 ft plywood 40 year old ex racer.

Some might be critical of using fuses instead of circuit breakers but at the time I built it, money was tight! I did manage to use quality waterproof Eaton switches though!

The meters were salvaged from some old test equipment that was surplus to requirements and I modified them for the ranges required. The voltmeter in particular is now a 10 to 15 Volt expanded range. Again, some may think they look a bit yesterday but I like the older style analogue look.

The nav switch is a 4 pole switch as each light (port / stbd / aft / compass) is individually fused.

The main positive bus is inside the panel and the main negative bus is external to the panel. There are sub buses elsewhere.

The 1,2,all,off battery switch and HF circuit breaker are mounted near the batteries on the other side of the cabin.

The connector at the top left is for the remote VHF speaker/mic (which was removed to take the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Panel.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	104042  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 12:02   #2

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Simple Custom Switch Panel

I like it. Those Eaton waterproof switches are nice but pretty pricey (I think they are up to about $20.00 a piece) Our purchasing guy at work says they go up 5-10% a year for the last few years. Should hold up for a long time thou we use them on military stuff here.
Old 24-06-2015, 04:32   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Simple Custom Switch Panel

Thanks Colin.

Yes the Eaton switches are tank and battleship proof and I'm sure they will outlast me and maybe the boat as well.

Cost wasn't too bad as there are only six of them!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote