Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 14:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau 456
Siemens Logo for controlling the generator etc?

Has anyone used Siemens Logo module to control a generator, engine, fuel etc?
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 15:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Siemens Logo for controlling the generator etc?

Semens makes very good but expensive stuff, generally not for salt air environment . I've been contemplating making an autopilot controller using Arduino bits and pieces. From a one off hobbyist standpoint, you might have more options using a more generic (cheaper) micro controller. Really tons of them out there with a controller board and led display for about $100-$150.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 15:54   #3

Siemens Logo for controlling the generator etc?

Well you might want to check Siemens Logo. Less than 150 on ebay and software is free. And they say it is Marine friendly.
Old 06-03-2014, 16:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
Well you might want to check Siemens Logo. Less than 150 on ebay and software is free. And they say it is Marine friendly.
The specs are quite impressive for what they are going for on ebay. Siemens specs does not mention, marine, but does list harsh chemical Environments, so pretty good. Eight Inputs, four of which can be analog, plus four outputs, display and built-in configability and it can be networked too, smart phone interface software. Actually a pretty darn nice unit.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 16:30   #5

I am going to give it a shot to control my small 5kw diesel generator. Instead of all the relays wiring etc...we'll see how it goes. Ill post my findings...
Old 18-03-2014, 04:30   #6

Update,

Yesterday we installed the Siemens Logo to control our 5kw generator. The installation was fairly simple and the device works great. Inputs are: Oil Pressure Switch, Temperature pressure switch, 120V availability and house battery voltage. Generator will shut down if Oil or pressure switches are activated or if the generator quits generating. It also records hours of operation and remind oil changes every x number of hours. If any of the safety devices are triggered it will show it in the screen. We are going to add a temperature sensor at the generator compartment with a shutdown if temperature rises above normal. The possibilities are endless.
Old 18-03-2014, 04:43   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
Update,

Yesterday we installed the Siemens Logo to control our 5kw generator. The installation was fairly simple and the device works great. Inputs are: Oil Pressure Switch, Temperature pressure switch, 120V availability and house battery voltage. Generator will shut down if Oil or pressure switches are activated or if the generator quits generating. It also records hours of operation and remind oil changes every x number of hours. If any of the safety devices are triggered it will show it in the screen. We are going to add a temperature sensor at the generator compartment with a shutdown if temperature rises above normal. The possibilities are endless.
Fantasctic JOB!!!

I find the little units to be exceptional "bang for your buck" in what you get... Another bonus for the Asian microprocessor age! I'm not fond of the programming, but it's not too bad once you get used to it... Sorry I'm late to the party, as I have some experience with various brands... You got one of the more robust ones! Automation Direct make a better PLC on paper, but from my experience... very shoddy IO modules and connections... I've had a few simply disintegrate! Red Lion can be found cheap on ebay, and they are pretty good units too... For stuff like this, stick with the high priced stuff you can find on the cheap at ebay... Seimens, AB, etc...

Congrats again on a nice project! Keep us updated!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 05:21   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Yes I have a LOGO on ElectraGlide for the Generator but have no idea what it's doing. I think it has something to do with shutting down the generator portion of the genset without tripping a breaker so it can be reset at the helm. Here's the scenario on an electric drive Cat. Your running along under power drawing 80A and the wife turns on her hairdryer and you exceed the output of the genset. The genset shuts off the output of the genset and goes to idle. You decrease the usage to handle the max load and then hit the reset button and the genset revs up to start output again.
Honestly it's the one part of the whole system I haven't figured out and would love to have a better understanding of it and it's capabilities but I'm not a electronics guy so had hoped it never broke. I even went to a local Siemens office and got no help. I now have a spare unit to someday play with but I haven't figured out even how to do that. Any info on this and it's capabilities would be greatly appreciated.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 05:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
Yes I have a LOGO on ElectraGlide for the Generator but have no idea what it's doing. I think it has something to do with shutting down the generator portion of the genset without tripping a breaker so it can be reset at the helm. Here's the scenario on an electric drive Cat. Your running along under power drawing 80A and the wife turns on her hairdryer and you exceed the output of the genset. The genset shuts off the output of the genset and goes to idle. You decrease the usage to handle the max load and then hit the reset button and the genset revs up to start output again.
Honestly it's the one part of the whole system I haven't figured out and would love to have a better understanding of it and it's capabilities but I'm not a electronics guy so had hoped it never broke. I even went to a local Siemens office and got no help. I now have a spare unit to someday play with but I haven't figured out even how to do that. Any info on this and it's capabilities would be greatly appreciated.

Steve in Solomons MD
Steve...

Do you have the programming manual????

Also... You'll need the model # of the Logo, as there are a few flavors available....

Old 18-03-2014, 05:53   #10

I'll have to look but I down loaded a manual on the unit a few years ago. I'll also take a look at the module there are several components in it. I believe i have a parts list so it may have the info your asking for. This got me thinking again and I have a wiring diagram for the unit. It does mention the genset "reset" so I'm pretty sure that's it's main function. Just seems like a lot of "stuff" just to reset though and I was wondering if it could have other capabilities. Then there is the question of how to make it do what you want it to do...

Thanks for the interest, I REALLY appreciate it. Just having someone to bounce questions off of would be a great help.

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 18-03-2014, 09:03   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll have to look but I down loaded a manual on the unit a few years ago. I'll also take a look at the module there are several components in it. I believe i have a parts list so it may have the info your asking for. This got me thinking again and I have a wiring diagram for the unit. It does mention the genset "reset" so I'm pretty sure that's it's main function. Just seems like a lot of "stuff" just to reset though and I was wondering if it could have other capabilities. Then there is the question of how to make it do what you want it to do...

Thanks for the interest, I REALLY appreciate it. Just having someone to bounce questions off of would be a great help.

Steve in Solomons MD
The thread got me thinking.... SOFTWARE!!! We don't need no stinkin'...... Oooooops.... When I learned/got into the Logo, it was 20 yrs ago at a siemens sponsored event to debut the Logo.... All alpha keypad programming... I'm sure they've come a long way like automation direct software... and it's a SNAP! now...

N E way.... Like sailorchick mentioned... they have a TON of IO's most of which are unused in your application... Probably 8 in/4 out but they differ... Sooooo..... You could totally use this thing to say....

"after the boat has run 30 min (the time it takes to make breakwater)... Turn on the stereo, open the BBQ gas solenoid, and turn on the breaker for the blender"

I have my engineering priorities straight???

Old 18-03-2014, 10:14   #12

Hahaha, No I think you got the priorities right!
One of the things I was wondering about was to use a logo for contactor control of hi and low voltage for a LiFePo4 propulsion pack. At one time I also wanted a 365 day timeclock to reset the Charger every 21 days.
Honestly I haven't looked at the Logo for over a year. It seems to do it's thing (whatever that is) and I've left it alone but as I said I just don't feel comfortable not knowing anything about the little gray box.

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 19-03-2014, 07:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hahaha, No I think you got the priorities right!
One of the things I was wondering about was to use a logo for contactor control of hi and low voltage for a LiFePo4 propulsion pack. At one time I also wanted a 365 day timeclock to reset the Charger every 21 days.
Honestly I haven't looked at the Logo for over a year. It seems to do it's thing (whatever that is) and I've left it alone but as I said I just don't feel comfortable not knowing anything about the little gray box.

Steve in Solomons MD
Logo would certainly do this.... I think it;s a brilliant idea!

Old 19-03-2014, 07:28   #14

ok know your just teasing me
Old 20-03-2014, 07:59   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ok know your just teasing me
I kid you not... They have an internal clock AND calender... If barriers to programming a calendar function in the PLC are a barrier... (say like house voltage dips reset the calendar) Then certainly the internal clock function can be used for a re- occurring 21 day time delay relay to reset the charger...

I personally have only utilized 3 of the four outputs in my previously mentioned application.... I'm thinking of using the fourth output to deploy the disco ball lowering mechanism...