Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 20:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1
Shore power inlet in anchor locker

Can anyone share any pictures / descriptions of how they modified Anchor locker hatch and setup to add new shore power inlet?
Planning to add a new receptacle in anchor locker at bow, running to a new switch at nav station that will let me select shore power from either bow or transom. Thanks
jc1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:40   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'
Re: Shore power inlet in anchor locker

Sounds like a really bad idea. If you can seal it enough from water and chain, you also seal it from maintenance.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:37   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

Is this to avoid laying the cable along the deck?

In my limited experience, electrical items in the forward lockers are troublesome. Do you have a passage from the interior to the forward lockers where you could install the shore power receptacle in a more weather proof area then pass it up through the anchor locker and out of the boat?

My boat's anchor locker has a few notches in it for items such as lines to pass through. It's obviously not a water tight or even particularly secured locker, but drains right back into the sea. Your anchor locker should also have a way to drain easily, but unless you're on a catamaran, I bet it drains into your bilge? Unfortunately I'm not on the boat right now and can't find any good pictures - but I've attached the best I could find

On that topic, you'll want to be VERY CAREFUL about water using that shore cable to find a way into your boat. It's rather surprising how quickly that can become a problem. Even having a rubber gasket at the deck penetration won't always be a perfect seal. A small rain storm could deposit several gallons into your boat. Even morning dew can be problematic over time. And if the moisture follows the cable to the outlet it could cause a short there. A drip loop is critical before reaching the outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200830_092300.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	233784  
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 14:32   #4

Thank you both - sorry should have given more context.

At home marina and others, I usually dock bow-in and run my 50a/250v cable up through bowsprit and across deck to the receptacle at the helm. Boat is 46' monohull so depending on where the power setup is at the dock, I sometimes need my 50' cord, plus an extension - the 50v/250v line (required by my boat is super heavy), so just looking to make things easier for my standard marina docking setup of bow-in.

Looking to install new power receptacle somewhere at bow - have anchor locker and a water-tight sail locker I could use.

I saw in another post I can't easily find now, some discussion about adding a switch at the nav station, allowing selection of either bow or stern power input. the (properly sized, etc.) lines from the two receptacles would be run to the switch, and then from the switch power would flow into the boat electrical system / inverter.

I haven't started the detailed planning for this, but it's on my list to tackle this year - am thinking about how I would setup the new receptacle at the bow - whether in the anchor locker or water-tight sail locker I have.
Jeff
Old 04-03-2021, 18:33   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

A friend who was a marine electrical engineer and was meticulous about his boat installed a second 30a receptacle in his anchor locker. Was 20 years ago and I can't remember why the second...maybe for air conditioning. I'm sure he was confident of sealing adequately against moisture in that location.

But he said it worked well. He had two cords, a 25 ft and a 50 ft. So no matter if he was bow in a slip or stern in, his cords would reach nicely, with little excess length.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 18:46   #6

Thanks Ggray,

My standard shore power inlet receptacle at the helm station sits open to weather (with a cover that allows me to close it when shore power is not plugged in). I don't see why using the same setup in the anchor locker (or anywhere else) would be a problem, assuming the receptacle is installed correctly.

My thinking is to just add this receptacle somewhere within the anchor locker (using the wall that is in between anchor locker and sail locker). The 'back' of the receptacle would face into my water tight anchor locker, the 'front' would face into the anchor locker. I would keep the cover on the receptacle closed when not in use.
I would then find a way to get my shore power cable into the anchor locker to plug into this receptacle when in use - similar to picture that LoudMusic added. Also, keeping in mind that water can follow that cable into the anchor locker - but as long as I'm using a 'weatherproof' receptacle (like my standard one at the helm), I would expect the water to not be an issue for the shore power connection, and it would flow out of the anchor locker through normal drainage channels.
Old 05-03-2021, 19:06   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Should work as long as you don't plug in while offshore
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:55   #8

Boat: Maxi 999

This setup is fairly common around here, usually using a waterproof 16A Blue CEE inlet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309).
An alternative is to use a block heater connection for cars, they are much smaller and meant to be installed in the car grille which is a pretty nasty environment. Example here, look under Inlet cable: https://www.calix.se/en/products/cables
I use this on my boat.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shore power inlet in anchor locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1409 View Post
Thanks Ggray,

My standard shore power inlet receptacle at the helm station sits open to weather (with a cover that allows me to close it when shore power is not plugged in). I don't see why using the same setup in the anchor locker (or anywhere else) would be a problem, assuming the receptacle is installed correctly.

My thinking is to just add this receptacle somewhere within the anchor locker (using the wall that is in between anchor locker and sail locker). The 'back' of the receptacle would face into my water tight anchor locker, the 'front' would face into the anchor locker. I would keep the cover on the receptacle closed when not in use.
I would then find a way to get my shore power cable into the anchor locker to plug into this receptacle when in use - similar to picture that LoudMusic added. Also, keeping in mind that water can follow that cable into the anchor locker - but as long as I'm using a 'weatherproof' receptacle (like my standard one at the helm), I would expect the water to not be an issue for the shore power connection, and it would flow out of the anchor locker through normal drainage channels.
Make sure you mount it high up to avoid being smashed by flailing chain..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:40   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

The chain locker at the bow can easily be swamped in rough conditions. I would not trust the water tightness of a power inlet. The newer Smartplugs even less as the covers are spring loaded, not screwed down.

My power inlet is in a winch pocket where breaking waves are unlikely to hit with any force, even is the worst weather.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker, shore power