Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2009, 21:21   #1

Salt Water as a Power Source?

It's in english with subtitles.....

this is pretty awesome. may revolutionize power consumption.....
wacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 06:20   #2

This is a scam, plain and simple. Water is not a power source and cannot ever be. Not even salt water. Water, in fact, is just burnt hydrogen. It is--in a very literal sense--just the ash that is left over after you burn hydrogen. It takes MORE energy to get the hydrogen back out of the water than you can EVER get by burning that hydrogen.

Conservation of energy--it's not just a good idea, IT'S THE LAW!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 07:16   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
E = MC*C. Isn't that why we keep researching cold fusion? But, yes, the sentiment is correct in regard to the chemical reaction, just the application of the LAW part may be narrowly construed.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 08:11   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The desire for clean cheap energy is so great that some people take advantage of peoples desires and this is what you end up with, charlatans who come up with gadgets that supposedly break the law of conservation of energy.

It takes energy to break the hydrogen-oxygen covalent bond, about 9.95eV to break both bonds. There is no magic way of breaking this bond which takes less energy than the normal 9.95eV of energy. It actually takes more energy, because of inefficiencies in any system, to break the covalent bond than the energy you get back by reforming that bond...although technically it takes the same energy to break that bond that is returned when the bond is formed. If that makes any sense.

What the video is showing is a chemical process, not a subatomic process. Only at the subatomic level will you find mass being converted to energy or the reverse, which is clearly not the case here.

My guess is that what he is doing is bombarding the water with enough electromagnetic energy to break those bonds thus releasing hydrogen and oxygen...what you are seeing is the energy released when those bonds reform. I don't know how it does not affect a human standing next to it. Either that or it has something to do with separating the sodium and chlorine ions outside of the solution and seeing the heat formed as they form back into table salt. I'm sure some chemist somewhere has figured out what is actually happening.

Conservation of energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 10:11   #5

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
People are gullible, there’s no doubt about it. There is always a bunch of people always looking for a free ride. I always love seeing them fall for these processes for more producing free energy.
Cold fusion is always a winner. It’s so incredibly efficient all the radiation turns into electricity.
Another favourite is the magnet attached to the fuel line. Getting all those molecules all so nicely lined up, all so orderly and behaving themselves while they are being blasted out through a nozzle.
Lowering a weight down a hole to produce power and storing it in a battery. Then raising it using just a little bit of what had been produced and using the remainder for doing whatever.
Nothing like having 110% and more energy conversion efficiency.
It really too bad it all violates the Laws of Thermodynamics. Life could be so easy.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 10:45   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Conservation of energy--it's not just a good idea, IT'S THE LAW!

I am laughing my ass off, rolling on the floor!!!

In netspeak I guess that would be LMAOROTF.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 10:53   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Sonic Barnacle Busters, Water injection, Algae-Q.......sham-wow

Oh that's roight.....sham/wow....works
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 12:22   #8

lol, brilliant.
"The fuel: nothing more than salt water"
Everyone just happened to forget the energy required to run the radio wave generator which would be considerably more than the energy gained from burning the hydrogen.
bencoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 12:23   #9

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Oy, not another one.

This is total crap, and a scam. Wish I'd thought of it.

I guess I'll just stick with starting a carbon offset company: plant a bunch of trees and get people to pay me not to cut them down. It's only slightly less BS than this HOH crap.

Sheesh. Where's the Better Business Bureau when you need it?
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 16:05   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"this is pretty awesome. may revolutionize power consumption..... "

And just how much do you get paid for each referral or sale?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 16:19   #11

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
My sense is he isn't a charlatan. But what hasn't been said is how much energy is being pumped into the salt water. If you put in 300 joules to get 200 joules out, this is an interesting parlor trick. But if you put 200 joules and get out 250 joules, that's a completely different situation.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 21:21   #12

ur joking right?

how much do i get paid for each sale??? gimme a break. i saw something interesting, am not a scientist so I thought it was revolutionary, wanted to share it. period
wacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 21:49   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What amused me just as much as the parlor trick was how the media played right along...as if the guy really had just broken a few basic laws of physics. They had absolutely no questions disputing his claims.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 01:27   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
...Water is not a power source and cannot ever be. Not even salt water...
The magnetohydrodynamic drive, if it ever makes it out of the experimental prototype phase, might disprove that assertion.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 02:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
how much do i get paid for each sale??? gimme a break. i saw something interesting, am not a scientist so I thought it was revolutionary, wanted to share it. period
I'm with Wacko on this....we are not all scientist...some of us are regular people that think this is cool.
Yes, I too believe that the energy required is probably greater than the energy gotten out but that doesn’t mean it isn’t an interesting demonstration/education for some of us.

Wacko I appreciate you posting stuff like this...some may be valid science some may not, but as someone with a curios mind, I prefer to see it all than have you not post anything.

And I appreciate the smart guys explaining what we are seeing and why it may or may not work or be valid.

It makes me uncomfortable to think that in posting something we are exposing our selves to ridicule when are like to think I am among friends.

Thanks for the cool post.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt water