Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 14:29   #1

Boat: Roberts 36 - Clarity
Sailboat Rewire

Crew
I have the luxury of contemplating a complete rewire for my 36 foot cruising boat (new engine, monitoring, everything). I would appreciate your recommendations on a manual to take an enthusiastic amateur through the whole process. I have Calder's manual, but this assumes the system is in place, and an old Brotherton pre AGM and 3 stage chargers. Information right up to date, and appropriate for a literate, but electrically challenged sailor. Cheers. Bill
clarity36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 14:41   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
12voltbible
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 16:44   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I am also doing a rewire. It is best to keep the amount of AC down as much as possible and run it all on one side. In my rewire I am putting in all LED lighting, Adding batteries, built in charger, different sizes of inverter (DC to AC) as well as a converter (AC to DC to run 12v while on shore power). Make sure to get the grounds right on the inverter (improperly grounded inverters is the #1 reason for hot docks) otherwise you will burn through zincs in a couple of weeks.
Old 30-11-2010, 17:23   #4

Boat: Island trader, Ketch, 40.8ft, Vagabond
I rewired my boat and put in a lot of leds about $1000 dollars worth, one lightning strike and they were all gone. All the old incandescents survived.
redmirage is offline   Reply With Quote