Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2011, 11:30   #1

Rutland 914

I have read the messages regarding the best and quietest wind generator I am not trying to duplicate those. But there is only one thread relating to the Rutland 914i. I want a small, quiet generator. The 914i seems to be the best compromize between size and output. It is also suppose to be quiet and reliable. There is also a HRDi controller for it that supposedly has MPPT technology built in which I didn't think existed for wind power. I plan to have solar which can also be connected to the HRDi. I know the recommendation is to have separate controllers but if the HRDi really is designed for both systems maybe it is not necessary. Unfortuantely I can't find any detailed info on the HRDi either. I am hoping that someone with extended experience with either product can enlighten me. Thanks.
clayzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:54   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Rutland 914

you can find INFO on the HRDI controller if you Goggle for it try HRDI user owners manual..................the 914I has the MPPT electronics in teh Wind turbine it is not the HRDI that does that problem with the HRDI is only 100W of solar

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...LN8YuQ&cad=rja
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 20:35   #3

Boat: sloop 8.68m

I think the HRDi controller is good for both the 914i and the 913
914i Rutland 914i

controller HRDi HRDi Controller

controller HRSi
HRSi Controller

can handle 160w of solar...
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 21:25   #4

Hi.

Don't know about the Rutland 914.
But I had\have the 913 on my 43fter for yrs.
Linked to solar and my battery's by a "Trace" mechanical regulator.
Had "pots" for all it's adjustments
Plus two "Dumps" to save using a brake when system full.
There was also a bypass sw in there. so It could send extra\excess power to water heater.

It was supplied. and set up by Marine Leccy at boatyard down in Adelaide. "Searles"
He did mainly fishing boat installs and larger cruising boats.
So was well versed with what and how.

Buyer didn't want to pay price for boat.
So I still have Rutland. Trace. and dumps in shed.
Ready for next boat. One day. Radar etc. I sold.

PS. Go down to a Marina in 30knots sometime. and watch all the Genny's working. Or braked.
The Rutland. In 30 knots put out a slight "hummmm"
Mounted on a s\s post bolted to stern cabin roof, and clamped to stern rail. On a steel yacht.
They are the only ones you'll sleep under.
Not the most powerful. But give out regular amp's to a much lower wind strength than others..
macka17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 07:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, macka17.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:28   #6

Boat: Arends 33

I've just installed a Rutland 914i on my yacht only last week. We live in tropical Australia and since installing it we've had a few puffs of wind over 5 knots and seen 01amp come up on the metre we installed inline to monitor the output. We sat the pole on a rubber foot and the bracing support also with rubber feet. so far, no sound or vibration coming from the unit. It spins most of the time (in very light air) but there's no electrical output.

We got the HRSi regulator. The difference between the HRSi and HRDi is that the HRSi does one battery bank, whereas the HRDI can do two. I'll let you know how we get on with it once the wind comes up. Cameron.
first.contact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:39   #7

Looking forward to your results and your general feel on the 914. The non intergrated regulator of the rutland i think is the bonus with this unit, the regulator is generally the part that fails.
Old 28-01-2012, 23:57   #8

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

I've got a Rutland 914 and it has been installed since spring 2010. Since then it has run like a charm. It is very quiet at wind speeds up to about 25 knots. Above that there is a slight rumble but it does not keep us awake and it can't be heard from further away than a couple of metres. Ours is mounted on a S/S pole on the cockpit coaming and braced to the side deck and push-pit rails. The strongest wind we experienced in the boat has been a little over 50 knots and well before that the unit's self regulating brake has come into play and again there were no dramas. Our unit is charging through a HRDi regulator and is charging the house bank and the start battery. It manages to keep all charged to 100% but does not really get much in the way of a 'float' charge - max. voltage seen is 13.4 volts whereas when charging from shore power we'll see a float of up to 14.3 volts. To date we have no solar power - on the to do list but given our climate not very high on it! In summary I'd say the Rutland gives a decent bang for the bucks.
Old 29-01-2012, 03:19   #9

Dunno Steve there might be some sort of factory voltage ajustment screw that "they" say we don't need to ajust.You might beable to find out by giving Marlec a ring. I be thinkin to maintain 13.8v would be the go.
I don't own one of these machines but it's on my list, so good to hear how you get on.
Old 13-03-2012, 14:56   #10

Boat: Gemini Cat 10m

Hi Fiirst Contact,

I too installed a 914i in January with it delivering only at best half the output that they say it will deliver in their manual. Very dissapointing. How has yours been going ? I have been dealing with my supplier to see what the problem is.
simonsantennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 07:36   #11

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsantennas View Post
Hi Fiirst Contact,

I too installed a 914i in January with it delivering only at best half the output that they say it will deliver in their manual. Very dissapointing. How has yours been going ? I have been dealing with my supplier to see what the problem is.
What wind speed were you only getting half output?
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 18:15   #12

Yes, I have installed a rutland 914i over 4 months ago and have not been very happy with the output and have been dealing with the maunufacturer in UK and supplier in AUS to remedy the problem, as I dont believe it is delivering what the specifications say it should. I must say tho that they have been very helpfull in trying to solve my issue and have responded promptly with my enquiries. So far, as we are heading up the east coast of Queensland, I will give it some more extensive tests in stronger winds. It seems to need 20 knots plus to have any reasonable charge.
Given the cost to install, around $2k, I would put more solar and batteries if I new what I knew now.
It is reasonably quiet compared to others, but I think height may be a large issue with it as mine is only 3m off waterline. But i dont want a huge tower on the yacht.
I am also concerned about the electronics being exposed to salt air as they are only protected by the rear cover. on the wind gen unit.The Hrdi controller seems to work ok and I have 100w of solar thru it as well. Its nice to see what goes in. The solar walks all over it for power generation tho. Wind gen does not so far come even close. So we will see over the nex few months, hope fully the south east trades will change my mind on it.
Hope that they be of some help, with my experience so far
Old 30-04-2012, 02:25   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Simon, what kind of energy output are you getting, in numbers? I am also very disappointed with the output of my 914i and am starting a new thread on it. I just spent 12 hours with average wind of over 20 knots the entire time, according to a nearby weather station, and got only 1 amp-hour per hour at 24 volts, so average of only 25 watts. According to the specs, it's supposed to put out 140 watts at 22 knots or so. Seems to me that something is wrong with it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 03:09   #14

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsantennas View Post
Yes, I have installed a rutland 914i over 4 months ago and have not been very happy with the output and have been dealing with the maunufacturer in UK and supplier in AUS to remedy the problem, as I dont believe it is delivering what the specifications say it should. I must say tho that they have been very helpfull in trying to solve my issue and have responded promptly with my enquiries. So far, as we are heading up the east coast of Queensland, I will give it some more extensive tests in stronger winds. It seems to need 20 knots plus to have any reasonable charge.
Given the cost to install, around $2k, I would put more solar and batteries if I new what I knew now.
It is reasonably quiet compared to others, but I think height may be a large issue with it as mine is only 3m off waterline. But i dont want a huge tower on the yacht.
I am also concerned about the electronics being exposed to salt air as they are only protected by the rear cover. on the wind gen unit.The Hrdi controller seems to work ok and I have 100w of solar thru it as well. Its nice to see what goes in. The solar walks all over it for power generation tho. Wind gen does not so far come even close. So we will see over the nex few months, hope fully the south east trades will change my mind on it.
Hope that they be of some help, with my experience so far
Your experience validates the research I have found re wind generators.
OK for the roaring Fourties and other windy spots but not for Queensland and tropics. Go solar.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 20:15   #15

I think one of the problems with measuring the wind speed is that at the wind gen, wind speed will be quite differant from wind measuring stations due to height and location. I think my wind speed indicator on my mast is reading high, so I am trying to source a hand held indicator to actually measure wind at the wind gen.
We were apparantly in 15-20knots the other day and I was seeing readings on the hrdi reg of 4-5amps, still not up to what they say in the specs. When I can do some more accurate testing of wind strength I will make another post.
cheers Simon

Tags
rutland