Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 20:53   #1

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
Rutland 913 redesign/build

Hi all, I have this wind generator a friend gave to me that I'd like to rebuild in a different way. I would like some thoughts if it would work and any fresh ideas you might have.

Ok, the 913 spun its blades off in Sandy, I have tested it, it produces voltage and spins quite freely so the bearings are still good. It will cost about 140 bucks to get new blades or this idea I came up with.

I want to turn it up vertical and attach a cone spiral to catch the wind. Will that be ok on the bearings? Pics down below of the 913 and a model of what I will put on it.

I was thinking an aluminum plate cut into a circle and thinner aluminum sheet for the spiral. I suppose I could use a plastic of some type as well, maybe 1/8" thick? Perhaps a 2" pipe for the center that I will rivet the sheets to. I have a brake so i can just bend a long tab and on the bottom I will cut slits in the tab to allow it to curve.

I think this will be quiet and will catch wind at any angle.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140227_233045.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	76915   Click image for larger version

Name:	mw1100.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	76916  

Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 04:37   #2

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Hate to be a naysayer but I cant imagine that doing more than a small trickle charge. Rutlands are very quiet long lasting generators that put about 2 amps out at 12 knots of wind. Startup in almost no wind. spend the 140 get the right blades
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 08:20   #3

Re: Rutland 913 redesign/build

Thanks for the input!
I forgot to mention the size of it, I was thinking 24" diameter and 24" tall so it will actually have some good surface area . There is a nice flat area to attach it as I do not have the nose cone. Was also thinking to add four strips of polycarbonate three inches wide bowed out from the top to bottom kind of like a helix to catch more wind. As easy as it is to get spinning I would think it would achieve the same if not more rpm's as blades. I will make a prototype out of scrap less durable material to test it out and see what it will produce. It might look funny but I dare to be different!
Old 28-02-2014, 08:40   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

There is a large egg beater style wind generator that was tried up on the UP of Michigan. It was a complete and utter failure......

There a a good reason Rutland designed the generator like they did.... Might be a good idea to just go with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:45   #5

Yeah, I know it was designed the way it was but one of my passions is to experiment on things, ya never know right? My biggest Q right now is if I turn it vertical will the bearings suffer, I'll find out. Gathering material now and will post pics of the progress/results!

And yes I think the egg beater idea prolly won't work but I'll try anyway, hehehe.

Anymore thoughts?
Old 28-02-2014, 10:55   #6

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
There are lots of cool videos on YouTube. check them out and good luck and have fun with your project
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 11:00   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdrskr View Post

Anymore thoughts?
Yes. It's going to be dramatically less efficient. Basically, only @ 40% of the surface area is going to catch the wind while @ 40% of it is providing turning resistance.

And yes, I would imagine that the bearings will suffer. I doubt they are designed to wear well with that lateral force.

There is a reason you don't see any wind generators with this sort of blade. If it were comparably efficient you wouldn't see these everywhere. Trust me, this have been well engineered:

That said, if you want to give it a whirl so to speak and see how it stacks up, go for it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rutland