Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2009, 14:21   #1

Rutland 503 Servicing and Repair

I am looking for information on a Rutland 503 wind turbine. I have one currently on my boat and the unit makes a lot of noise whilst turning at speed, which I suspect means the bearings need replacing. I cant find any manuals or advice that might help me make the repairs or any stockists for spare parts either. Can anyone help?
Alex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 03:08   #2

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
Wind Generator - Marlec Rutland 504 - 12V

The Rutland 504 wind turbine (previously known as the Rutland 503 wind charger) is ideal for charging batteries on board boats under 10m in length. Battery charge can be stored up over time by trickle charging when weather conditions allow. This charge can then be used to power electrical appliances such as navigation systems, phone charges and laptops etc.

may be google for the Rutland 504?

info:
The popular Rutland range of small wind turbines are built by Marlec, a well-established British company that have been developing renewable energy products since the 1970s.
The Rutland 504 is their smallest wind turbine. Sturdy, compact, safe and efficient, it is the most popular choice for trickle-charging battery banks on yachts - although it is equally at home on narrowboats, or set up next to a touring caravan or motorhome.
The Rutland 913 is a medium-sized wind turbine, again aimed primarily at marine applications. In windy coastal locations it should allow you to run most of your lighting and navigation equipment from clean, free, renewable energy.
Both models are a popular sight in marinas - many thousands are in use worldwide - boat owners like the clean, aerodynamic lines and the quiet operation. As with any wind turbine, output does depend very heavily on wind speed - these aren't suitable for use in sheltered urban areas.

the company Rutland 504 Windcharger web site.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 15:44   #3

Boat: Weston 8500 (27'9") - Mojo
Re: Rutland 503 Servicing and Repair

Did you get your windgen fixed? If you telephone Marlec, they can email you the literature you need to strip and fix the assembly. The bearings are 6002ZZ and are secured with Loctite Bearing Fix 641. Before getting the spare parts, do the strip down and ensure the windings are undamaged - a possible result of running out of true. There should be a resistance of 1.8 ohms between windings (mine went open circuit!).

Rob.
rob2hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 06:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2hook View Post
Did you get your windgen fixed? If you telephone Marlec, they can email you the literature you need to strip and fix the assembly. The bearings are 6002ZZ and are secured with Loctite Bearing Fix 641. Before getting the spare parts, do the strip down and ensure the windings are undamaged - a possible result of running out of true. There should be a resistance of 1.8 ohms between windings (mine went open circuit!).

Rob.
Hi Rob, mine went open circuit also! Is this ok or does it need fixing? I have the windcharger stripped to shaft and disc windings with 3 wires pocking out of shaft. What did you do next? Brian
ThomasBdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:45   #6

Boat: Ohlson 35

I know this is an old thread but being a member and having this thread come up in google searches for 'Rutland 503 bearings', I thought I might add my experiences.

I just purchased two bearings from Marlec to repair my own 503 and when they arrived I searched under the bearing patent, they are 6002-2RSH and are readily available from all bearing suppliers.

I paid £18 delivered for two through Marlec, however they can be obtained for as little as £7 a pair before they become a 'marine' part.

6002-2RSH/C3 SKF SKF Single Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings - Bearing King

If it helps anyone else save a few pennies then this post would have been worthwhile.

Good luck 503 owners.
Reverend Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rutland