Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 16:01   #31

Re: Rewire 12V How To

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
I would look up and learn "Ladder Diagram" to plan your new installation.

It is much better than schematic.

Actually, they can, are and should be complimentary. Many find that ladders are great for circuits analysis, while schematics are great for building, tracing and troubleshooting. Ladders don't begin to indicate wire lengths and runs; it is not the intent of this type. Also, I have found two different kinds of schematics that folks use. One is a general schematic that shows the equipment and connections, the other does the same but adds a general physical relationship. This makes it useful to answer the "Where does that wire actually go?" questions. More recently, Maine Sail has promoted the idea of pasting pictures of the actual equipment rather than just a box saying "VHF: as jhulmer & Ike showed.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 19:45   #32
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

It really doesn't matter how you diagram your electrical system. What matters is that you understand it. If you prefer pictures rather than a box labeled "VHF" then do it that way. If you can make more sense of ladders, rather than a simple schematic , or even just a simple diagram of the boat showing where the items are located then do it. Whatever method you use has to be something you can go back to after what may be years, and make sense of it.
Old 25-09-2020, 19:49   #33

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

you may want to get a wiring diagram from a newer production vessel to use as a guide. And go to a boat show and take photos of the panel (front & back if possible), then contact the panel manufacturer for help in sizing and purchase
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 13:50   #34

Electric parts catalogs , like Blue Seas Systems, have diagrams, info and best practices online.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 14:11   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa17 View Post
Electric parts catalogs , like Blue Seas Systems, have diagrams, info and best practices online.
Blue Seas has a nice pdf of how to design a custom panel from them, I'm sure there are tons of little ideas you can gleam from reading that. If nothing else, you can see what types of breakers, switches, etc. they have available that might fit your needs.

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso..._worksheet.pdf
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote