Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 09:45   #16

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Reset masterbus? All devices showing offline (but working)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
By any chance do you have power directly to the easyview or is it only powered by master bus?

Try providing power directly to the easyview via its 12v power connector
The Easyview is powered directly, and I've tried with and without the direct power. The results are the same with and without direct power.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 17:49   #17

I was finally able to get back to our boat, and I believe I've found the problem. The masterbus/canbus module on one of our MLI ultra's bit the dust.

I went back and tested each device individually, and if it worked I added the Easyview. Everything passed except for one of the batteries which doesn't show up and interestingly neither would the Easyview when I added it for grins.

I previously said you need to wait for the masterbus to settle. This, I now believe, is wrong. The bus should settle pretty quick if all is well. I think what was happening is that the battery's masterbus module was flakey and that caused the network to take time to settle. Now that it's finally dead, and I'm not getting any transitory behavior.

Moral of the story is I should have done individual device tests when I tested the wires. That's what happens when you've been in management too long! You forget the basics.

I'm hoping Mastervolt made the batteries such that the masterbus module can just be replaced.
Old 26-10-2022, 10:46   #18

The canbus/masterbus module on the MLI batteries can be replaced. Mastervolt sent me a new one under warranty, and I pulled the old one (pic attached) and it had a bent pin. With the new module, the battery can now be seen on the network.

There's still an issue with the EasyView, but Mastervolt will remote in next time I'm on the boat to help diagnose.

There isn't much information out there on diagnosing Masterbus issues, but I'm pretty impressed with Mastervolt tech support.

Old 08-07-2023, 17:56   #19

Closing out this thread with the complete story.

So the battery that had this issue was a refurbished battery we purchased in the UK from Mastervolt NL to replace a battery that had a cell go bad. 3-4 months later we started having the masterbus issues. I replaced the can bus module (paid for by Mastervolt) and things worked for a bit, and then back to the same problem.

Mastervolt has determined that the BMS is bad, and needs to be replaced. But, we have to ship it to them and back of course. So, we're down to one battery now which isn't a big deal as we're not doing any long trips this season.

This has taken far too long to diagnose and eventually repair. But, I learned a great deal about Masterbus along the way.

Tags
mast, work