Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 09:48   #1

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Removing Shore Power Connection and Equipment

We are planning on long term cruising with our boat here in 1-2 years and are starting down the refit process. One of the things I am currently looking at is the charging, batteries, and power systems. Boat is currently well wired and powered with solar and wind, ample batteries, as well as all the proper shore power connections with chargers and galvanic isolators etc.

However, most of the shore power system is quite dated and since the boat is very self sufficient the boat has actually not been connected or used a single amp of shore power for probably atleast 6-8 years and not once have I ever run low on power while on board. So I am looking at all of this equipment on board that I don't know the status of and am simply wondering if it would be wise to just rip it all out and forget about it?

Anyone have any reason why I should keep all of this stuff? I figure if I am out cruising the odds of me actually being on a dock to make use of shore power are quite slim and if I am ever in need of some type of shore power to run a charger or some power tools or keep a fridge going I could probably easily enough just run a good old fashioned extension cord directly to whatever needs to be powered.

Thanks for any input!
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 09:53   #2

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Re: Removing Shore Power Connection and Equipment

I ripped all my AC out, mainly because it looked original to the boat. It turns out there was a bunch of burnt and melted wires, so i was glad i did.

I originally planned to re-wire it back in, but then i realized I have no plans to spend any length of time at a marina; so why bother?
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 10:01   #3

I'd keep it. Somewhere along the line you will want to use a power tool in the boat, maybe refinishing the cabin sole etc. Why take something out that is there? What's the problem with it?
You are not going with an invertor?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 10:38   #4

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

Cheechako, i do have an inverter already and plan to wire up the outlets on the interior to a second inverter and probably a main breaker switch. Mostly what I am referring to here is everything else, 120-12v battery charger, galvanic isolator, associated switches and breakers for external power, the heavy duty wiring and outlet running through the boat for connecting to shore and anything else other than outlets that might be connected to that part of the system.

In the end, all 120v that I still need onboard the boat will be re-wired through an inverter.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 10:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 30
If you want to do the work go ahead and pull it. The only thing it may effect is resale. Worse case you can always get an adapter and throw out a standard extension cord if shore power is needed in a pinch.
Old 18-10-2013, 11:19   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

2 Main reason to have shore power one is in case you want to leave the boat for a time. second is if you need to haul out to do work, can be a good way of running the tools. There are other ways of doing both. Hooking up to unkown shore power cn be a gamble, I recently had a case where the wiring was reversed in a yard and was feeding power down the ground line, the boat was on the bank so the earth plate was out of the water which meant none of the trips worked. Result was all the rails went to 240v live!! Only found out when I lent accross to knock on the next door neigbour and got a shock.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 14:00   #7

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Me Personally I would rip out the old stuff and install a small system "just in case" or for resale. I would install a shorepower inlet near the battery bank ( wire it to a small breaker panel (preferably one with an ELCI main) close by (in a enclosed box if need be) the panel would run one outlet and a battery charger. If you do have shore power you can now plug in to top off the batteries and or run a tool safely but have not put great expense or complexity into the boat.

Tags
equipment, men, shore power