Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2021, 15:57   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Removing an Aqua Signal 40 Tricolor

I have an Aqua Signal Tricolor and the anchor light has failed. I believe it's the Quick-Fit model. Before I head up the mast I would like to know what to expect, how is the light removed? I assume there is a fixed base and the light fixture snaps on, twists on, or what? Looked up some Aqua Signal documents but have not found anything specific.
Thanks,
Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 16:07   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Removing an Aqua Signal 40 Tricolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
I have an Aqua Signal Tricolor and the anchor light has failed. I believe it's the Quick-Fit model. Before I head up the mast I would like to know what to expect, how is the light removed? I assume there is a fixed base and the light fixture snaps on, twists on, or what? Looked up some Aqua Signal documents but have not found anything specific.
Thanks,
Bob
Bob,
On the lens cap, there should be a ring, turn/twist to the right to unlock ring. Lift ring slightly, then twist lens cap to right to unlock. Cap should lift off to get to bulbs. Bulbs have bayonet base (push down and twist to right to remove).

Reverse the process to lock in lens first, then the ring.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 16:27   #3

This unit has been modified with LEDs and a special circuit board for the anchor light. The question really is, can I remove the whole fixture without removing wires? I need to take it down to remove the anchor light circuit board.
Old 30-11-2021, 16:52   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

You should be able to remove the upper portion (the fixture) and leave the base. The base has the same lock ring, turn to right to unlock. The upper fixture needs to be rocked a little and lifted out of the base.

If you have the base cover would cover it if you plan to leave it exposed for a length of time.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:53   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

There are two versions of the quick fit socket. The older one had a couple of tabs to hold it in place. They were very susceptible of coming loose on their own and you would end up loosing the light. Many owners supplemented the tabs with a screw through the two parts to lock it in place.

The newer version is as Bill O described.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:08   #6

So I can remove the unit without any tools?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:01   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

I have owned two boats with an Aqua Signal Quick Fits model. Both had opposite tabs on the base that held the upper lights in place. Those have to be pushed in to remove the upper unit with the lenses and bulbs. Pushing in the tabs can be a bit difficult but both myself and my stepdaughter have been able to accomplish it. She would remove it and lower it to me in a bag, I would replace the appropriate bulb and send it back up to her to install, then I would test it with her still there.

I would not attempt to replace the bulbs while at the top of the mast.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:55   #8

Sounds good, could we borrow her? This unit was modified by a company called Stecktronics in Marathon sometime between 10 and 20 years ago, so I don't know what version of the light is up there.
Old 05-12-2021, 15:23   #9

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

At that age it most likely could use some new lenses too.
The plastic lenses lose a lot of their clarity after a few years, and they also become brittle.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:34   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Sounds good, could we borrow her? This unit was modified by a company called Stecktronics in Marathon sometime between 10 and 20 years ago, so I don't know what version of the light is up there.
I'm sure she would be happy to help you out if you were in our neighborhood as she enjoys going up the mast. I have used her a number of times with projects on my boat. She is very smart, mechanically inclined and not afraid to get her hands dirty, often coming up with solutions others havn't thought of.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 20:46   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Thanks,
Bob
You can remove the light without any tools by removing the ring (part 83514011 below) by turning it slightly and pulling the light up as per post #2, then bring it down to replace the bulb.
Mine had a surpise, the metals in the contact block attached to the quick-fit base (picture below) rusted and the screw holding the wire lost contact and would not come out. New block and base needed, for a bargain price of $80!! I bought a new and better all LED tricolor and anchor light for $150 (Optolamp).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	249394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_111726b.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	249395  

SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:32   #12

Thanks for all the information. This light has been modified with LEDs and a special circuit board that makes, or used to make, the anchor light do different functions. On at dusk, off at dawn, on steady, slow flash, fast flash, flash SOS. None of those functions work anymore. The dusk to dawn worked some time ago but does not seem to work anymore, maybe too much ambient light at the marina. All I want it to do is for it come on when I turn the breaker on and go off when I turn the breaker off.
Some time in the distant past we had a charter boat in the BVI with the flashing feature. It was great when you were in a crowded anchorage and coming back in the dinghy after dark.