Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 09:20   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Reliant AGM batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
With most premium AGM batteries, unlike flooded batteries, (Lifeline, Odyssey, Northstar, Firefly etc.) there is no difference in rated cycle life between 2V, 6V or 12V variants so focus on what will fit not that the 6V will be a deeper cycle productthan the 12V...

Hmmm... I think that's the first time I've heard anyone knowledgeable say a 12v "deep cycle" battery might be OK... instead of it more likely just being a slightly mis-labeled dual-purpose battery. Useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I have seen wildly varying prices on ebay and online elsewhere for Trojan T-105 batteries. It isn't helping that they are labeling the new Reliant's with the same number. But I have not seen the low price of $105 for a Trojan.

But I have seen most prices in the low $300 range. I must be missing something (truely - not trying to be sarcastic at all).

I just did a simple Google search on "Trojan T-105" and the first 5 "shopping" links that came up on the right side of the screen varied from $148.88 (three near there) to $170 (two near there).

Didn't look any closer to examine shipping, but...

-Chris
Old 03-09-2015, 12:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hmmm... I think that's the first time I've heard anyone knowledgeable say a 12v "deep cycle" battery might be OK... instead of it more likely just being a slightly mis-labeled dual-purpose battery. Useful.
The important words there were PREMIUM & AGM or GEL..... This does not apply to typical group 24, 27, 31 or 4D or 8D flooded batteries...

There are true deep cycle flooded 12V batteries such as the Trojan T-1275, J-150 or J-185 but these do not fit standard foot prints and are considerably taller than a typical flooded G 24, 27 or 31. US Battery also makes 12V deep cycle flooded batteries equivalent to the T-1275, J-150 and J-185 as does East Penn. Sadly you won't find these batteries in a marine chandler...

As to the Lifeline 6V 4CT's and 6CT's Lifeline does not make a true GC2 battery case in regards to a height standard.

They make a 10" tall 4CT, which will handily fit where most 12V Group 24, 27 & 31 batteries fit, and a 6CT which is 13" tall. The 6CT is even taller than a Trojan T-145.. The 6V 4CT & 6CT are unique heights and don't directly cross over to flooded 6V's in terms of case height.......
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Yep, understood your emphasis on "premium."

FWIW, I think I can fit 4x 4CTs in the same horizontal area where I now have 3x G31s plus a bit of odd-shaped but contiguous unused space. That would be a win, for me. Don't know that I could go much taller either, due to obstructions... but that's also partly because I'm hoping to incorporate a proper battery box (lid, etc.) whenever I have to make the switch.

-Chris
Old 03-09-2015, 12:28   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Didn't realize Lifeline's 4CTs were shorter enough to not necessarily be GC-2 equivalents. I see the 4CT height is 9.92" high and Trojan's T-105s are 11.07" high... but didn't figure the height difference was especially significant.

-Chris
For those that have a "normal" battery box, it's not, but my IP's battery box is right at 10, maybe 10.5" deep, just a little too shallow for GC-2's or I would spend 1/3rd as much and have gone with them. As near as I could determine the 4CT was about my best option, or tear out the box, which I may one day do.
I had group 29's in there that I removed and put in the tractor and backhoe to sell them, but group 29's are not deep cycle as we all know.
I wonder what IP was thinking, I think maybe back in the day they used some kind of gel cell as that was the slick thing at that time, (1987) and of course they built the box to fit?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:20   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For those that have a "normal" battery box, it's not, but my IP's battery box is right at 10, maybe 10.5" deep, just a little too shallow for GC-2's or I would spend 1/3rd as much and have gone with them. As near as I could determine the 4CT was about my best option, or tear out the box, which I may one day do.
I had group 29's in there that I removed and put in the tractor and backhoe to sell them, but group 29's are not deep cycle as we all know.
I wonder what IP was thinking, I think maybe back in the day they used some kind of gel cell as that was the slick thing at that time, (1987) and of course they built the box to fit?
FWIW, Trojan also makes the T-125 golf car battery, which has exactly the same dimensions as the T-105, but is a bit heavier and is rated at 240 AH, rather than 225 AH. It costs somewhat more, in fact disproportionately more, but in a good sized bank, it does add some nice capacity, which I would have thought would be a priority for most of us.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:54   #21

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:

I just did a simple Google search on "Trojan T-105" and the first 5 "shopping" links that came up on the right side of the screen varied from $148.88 (three near there) to $170 (two near there).

Didn't look any closer to examine shipping, but...

-Chris

Chris - I just checked too and I got the same results. There you are: AGMs are twice the price - if you get a good deal.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm