Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 18:30   #1

Relacing Trojan SCS225 House Bank

I need to replace the batteries on my "new to me" cruiser. I am awash in new info/technology. Last cruised so long ago a 7 ton boat with one battery wasn't viewed as particularly unusual.
Current house bank consists of two Trojan SCS225 along with an unidentified starter . I can replace the latter without problems but cost and availability make replacing the trojans' with something else almost essential.

The two golf cart option requires rebuilding I'd rather avoid. The Only suggestion I've had is an interstate 29 which I understand is a "combo" rather than a true deep cycle. Finally, for my purposes the SCS225 are more AH than I would use (by at least a refrig). Recommendations ?
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 11:14   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Relacing Trojan SCS225 house bank

What are you powering on your PS Mariha ? How long are you gone from shore power ? I have 2 deep cycle Trojans , no refrig. no radar. When I'm gone from shore power, say 8 days at a time I have no problems . One thing I did to save on power was to convert to MP3 for music . I'm not really sure how much that helps , but it had to some as I replaced a CD changer. Home Depot has a really good price on deep cycle bats . One last thing, I would get a smart charger type bat charger. They have ones that will charge 2 bats at once. Guest makes a good one. They only cost about $125. This will keep new bats like new for along time. Old type chargers from the 70's will cook bats.
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 11:26   #3

Boat: csy 37

i had an scs225. excellent and long lasting. it's a true deep cycle battery. most of the size 27, 29, and 31 size batteries that you buy in sams or costco or similar may say 'marine' or 'rv' on them but they are not true deep cycle. if they're called 'dual purpose' or some such thing don't even bother looking at them. the golf cart batteries are all true deep cycle, regardless of who sells them.

so it all boils down to, how much will you be depending on them? if you never get farther away than coastal u.s.a. you can always pull in and buy new batteries just about wherever you are. if you're going offshore or out of country, i'd spend the bucks and buy the trojans....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 12:29   #4

On my post I said Home Depot. I meant Costco. In my Costco they have a 85 amp with a 30 month guarantee for $67.79 For sure that is not a true deep cycle. However when I last bought my Trojans 6 yrs. ago I think they ran about $150. ea. Also, as a back up I take a emergency jump start bat with me . Gee 6 yrs. ago, those Trojans are good.
Old 22-10-2012, 16:36   #5

If Trojan's were selling for $ 150 from a brick and mortar source, I wouldn't have posted. They are now @ $200 online and As far as I can tell they"re only available by contacting a dealer in the Houston/Kemah area or Pennsacola (boat and home).

I want to be able to be away from docks for at least ten days at a time. At those times I would be relying on an AirBreeze wind generator and engine.

Regular usage : consists of

Small Garmin GPS/Chart . Needn't run continuously. I also have handheld gps and prefer paper charts

Depth/Speed

Nav lights

Single Sideband and VHF

Reading lights

Irregular usage :

Netbook as backup GPS display and regular course planning

Ocasional Radar use

I'm sure I've forgotten something obvious , but that's the basics

If need be , I can function quite happily with depth, VHF, and hand held gps {and reading lights of course}
Old 22-10-2012, 17:39   #6

Trojans only went up fifty bucks? Sounds like your good to go mate. Wind jenny and motor I think should be good. I would just get new deep cycle/RV bats and don't bother with a starting bat. When your out for 10 days I assume it won't all be under sail . If you sail to a mooring/anchor destination ice is my concern . By the way I think the Pacific Seacraft Mariha is a awesome boat.
Old 22-10-2012, 19:22   #7

Boat: csy 37

i notice you didn't mention refrigeration. if that's true, you're good to go. as you say, you can cut back to depth, vhf, gps. but if you had a loaded fridge you'd probably not want to cut that back...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 20:57   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Fans?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 17:33   #9

Found a more modestly priced source for the SC225 and gave up the search. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 14-11-2012, 17:43   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Put a smart charger on your alternator in place of the standard voltage regulator. I uave a Balmar. Many are made that can charge one or two batteries and are about the same stepped profile as a high end charger.

Also read Handy Bob's blog for indespensible advice on Batteries, chargers, charge controllers, wind and solar. HandyBob's Blog
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote