Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2013, 09:40   #1

Boat: Cooper Seabird 37
Regulator needed between Yamaha Outboard and Battery?

I have a sailboat with a Yamaha 9.9 outboard with a generator. I am going to wire it to the cabin battery. Does anyone know if I need to put a regulator between them or not?
scottburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 09:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Regulator needed between Yamaha outboard and battery?

Its worth the few $'s...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 09:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Regulator needed between Yamaha outboard and battery?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, scottburch.

The "alternator" (80W, or < 6A @ 13.7V) on the Yamaha 9.9 is actually made up of a couple of lighting coils under the flywhee,l that generate Alternating Current.

You will need a Rectifier & a Regulator

See Page 13, of the Manual
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...rrent_1793.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 11:00   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Is this an electric start outboard? Does it use a start battery that is charged with an alternator mounted on the engine? If so, you can simply connect the start battery of similar size, age, and rating, in parallel with the house battery, using proper battery cables. Or use a two-bank battery switch, such as the popular red Perko brand switch.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 11:15   #5

I would imagine Yamaha made it so you just connect to a battery...? Why would they make it any differnt than that?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would imagine Yamaha made it so you just connect to a battery...? Why would they make it any different than that?
To power a lighting circuit.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:35   #7

On some small outboards that run lights and say they can charge 12v batteries, the charging circuit is dead simple (coil, rectifiers and a fuse), and they don't put out that much current, especially when the battery's near full up. There's no regulator, they rely on the 'sturdiness' of a flooded-cell battery to withstand a small continuous overcharge. In fact, for our little Suzuki o/b, they mention not to use this type of charger on AGM or gel-type batteries, which can be damaged more easily by overcharge.

To the OP - have you hooked up your outboard's generator to your battery yet, and made any charging current measurements, at different motor speeds? If your motor can push more than 1 or 2 amp into a fully-charged battery, I'd say a regulator is necessary.

Some of our friends who have charging outputs on small outboards said that they found it mostly useless, unless they were doing extended motoring at flank speed. I haven't yet hooked up the charger from our o/b, I just top up with a portable solar panel.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 13:03   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

You don't mention what size battery you have.

You will probably need a bridge rectifier, as Gord says. These are very cheap from any electronics store. Go for one that's overspecified say 25A.
Then fit a fuse and switch.
I don't know that particular motor but although its is rated at 80w you will only get 3-4 A.
This is still enough to overcharge a small battery bank. Rather than a regulator simply switch the charging off if the battery is reasonably full.

It's better to only switch it when the motor is stopped. If you do switch it with the motor going you are unlikely to do any damage, but you may blow the bridge rectifier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	53478  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 20:28   #9

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottburch View Post
I have a sailboat with a Yamaha 9.9 outboard with a generator. I am going to wire it to the cabin battery. Does anyone know if I need to put a regulator between them or not?

HEY! I wouldn't wast my time with it! You will get only good power out at higher speeds only. I have one and at low speeds... .001ah and 1/4 throtle .010ah now at 1/2 you get charging your battery. Now at top-end speed your now getting what they speck!!

Good luck; Capt. Rob for Linda
CaptLinda6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 21:24   #10

Thanks for all of the replies. All had really good suggestions.

Gord May: Thanks for sending the manual, it stated the rectifier/regulator is optional. I will see if mine has it, if not, you may have saved my battery life..
Old 26-01-2013, 00:44   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If it is the 9.9 4 stroke electric start I have had 3 of these and the regulator is built in. In fact you don't need to do more than connect the battery for the electric start. Depending on model they can deliver 7-10 A at full chat, so not a great deal
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:07   #12

Rapanui: Thanks for the note. I found a service manual for that exact model and it seems you are correct. It seems to have a "rectifier regulator". I plan to add a small solar for a trickle charger anyway.
Old 07-07-2014, 22:27   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I've got this yamaha 9.9 and it's all pretty new to me. Couple weeks. Up until today it would charge the batteries and stop at 14.6. Gel batteries. 2. 98ah each.

Today right when I was getting to the anchorage I looked and the voltage was 14.92. Does anyone low if this is a problem or not? Anything I need to do?

For most of the five hour motor trip it was keeping them around 13.6 but I was was using an autopilot and stereo and chartplotter. It was when I approached the anchorage and started turning things off that it topped them off and reached 14.92.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 23:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Those voltages are too high for gel batteries.
Most gel batteries have a maximum charge voltage of 14.2-14.4v.

You need to regulate the input down to these levels.
The safest is to to just turn on loads to keep the voltage acceptable.
You can make up a simple manual regulator out of some diodes (each diode introduced will drop the voltage by about 0.6v)
On most outboard charging you can can turn the charging off without damaging anything. I have even used a solar PWM regulator successfully. This is a great solution, but do this at your own risk there is no guarantee that the charging system will cope with this sort of treatment.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:38   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If its electric start 9.9 then it charges the starter battery via the start cables so you don't have to do anything. It has a regulator in the outboard. I had 2 of these for years on my FP Maldives and as others have reported they don't give a lot but it's useful. With this type, you would have to modify the outboard itself to fit another regulator which is not necessary. Ok its not a 3 stage charger regime, but you would have to motor for days without using power to make that worthwhile - unlikely. Motoring 90nm across the English Channel and the battery voltage still would not achieve 14V while charging
The others are 9.9s manual start with a separate power output plug. The manual will tell you if it is AC (rectifier and regulator required) or DC regulated or not.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, outboard, regulator