Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 08:40   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Recommendation for lightweight diesel generator (30A@110v)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
+1 for Nextgen
I purchased a Nextgen 5.5 with a bad generator head for cheap ($800). Found new old stock on Ebay for $125 that included shipping. Also found a guy with a pallet full of generator heads in Michigan. I now have 2 extra. They are very easy to repair in my opinion. These generators are extremely common in refrigeration trucks. Many used parts available. Our boat is powered with twin Kubotas by Beta and some parts are interchangable. The Kubota engine Z482 is used in lawnmowers, tractors, generators, etc. Good used engines for sale on Ebay for less than $1000. The generator heads are being phased out in the trucking industry which gives ample stock of used parts and the engine is plentiful, ie. used in everything all over the world. Parts are very easy to find. The wiring is very straight forward. Even my mind could follow the wires and relays. The only gotcha is the capacitor needs to be charged before use.

Nice. I might go this route on Brute Force. Charging the cap... do you just flash the armature with a 12v battery? What is the procedure?

I was considering a bobtail Beta 10 and a BLDC motor ran as a direct drive alternator, using a Kelly controller in regen mode, to feed a 3kw to 5kw inverter. Still cheaper than a new Northern Lights set, but admittedly kind of kludgy. Also thought about marinizing something like the above mentioned Z482 and driving the biggest alternator I can find with it. Maybe twin alternators. I am leaning toward a 12v bank of 1000ah Rolls cells, which should support a nice sized inverter. I was going to go with a 96v or maybe a 48v bank of my favorite golf cart batteries but the big Rolls batteries have interested me for a long time now so I will probably stick with 12v as long as the Westerbeast keeps running good and I don't need EP. But the most flexible system I think would be a turnkey 120v diesel generator that is easily maintained/repaired and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 26-12-2018, 12:08   #17

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: Recommendation for lightweight diesel generator (30A@110v)

Yea, I think it was just 12v to flash the cap but might had needed 120v. Couldn't remember but is outlined in the manual for the gen heads by Markon.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, men