Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 15:29   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Questions about Dielectric Greases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
Along this line of thought, what would be the best thing to use on an Apple Lightning connector? I've had the 'gold' (obviously NOT gold) contacts corrode and fall apart after a few days around salt. I read an account a couple years ago about a R2AK boat who had all the backup devices they could possibly need for navigation, but were stymied by a lack of working cables.

I stick the male end of the lightning connector in DC4 and it into the IPad, have been doing so for 3 or 4 years, never had a problem yet.
The IPad stays in the cockpit because I get Active Capt info that way and it has some charts that are better than what I can get on my plotter.
I do the same for my Gamin Explorer as it stays on charge also in the cockpit, both ends of the USB cable.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 20:06   #17

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Re: Questions about Dielectric Greases

In my opinion, some type of dielectric grease on wire connections is one of the best things a owner could do. I fill all my heat shrink crimp connectors with grease, crimp, then let the grease ooze out when heat shrinking. Clean up the excess. The crimp joint is completely free of air, salt, and water. I also put vaseline on my rigging connectors on my shrouds. As they heat up, the vaseline creeps down into the fitting protecting the fitting from salt and water. Grease and dielectric grease are great protectors of corrosion. Much better than tracking down a corroded crimp joint in the bowels of a boat. If I see rust, It is time to add some protectant. IMHO
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 20:24   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The surefire way to avoid corroded crimp joints in the bowels of a boat, is don't put any down there in the first place.

Ideally joins are only made in easily inspected locations.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 20:33   #19

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

OK, and? You have the only boat that doesn't have crimps in the bilge. Interesting. Did you change all the your crimps out from PO? Or from new.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 22:03   #20

Get a tube of No-Ox-id "A Special" (mentioned above). This is far superior to regular dialectic grease for exposed connections like busbars and battery lugs. It was top rated by Practical Sailor. It has been used by electric utility linemen for over 50 years who buy it by the drum. This $14 tube will last for your lifetime. Don't put this on in globs. Rub in a thin coat.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube...2498119&sr=8-2
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 00:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Get a tube of No-Ox-id "A Special" (mentioned above). This is far superior to regular dialectic grease for exposed connections like busbars and battery lugs. It was top rated by Practical Sailor. It has been used by electric utility linemen for over 50 years who buy it by the drum. This $14 tube will last for your lifetime. Don't put this on in globs. Rub in a thin coat.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube...2498119&sr=8-2
Thanks. sounds like this stuff is not a Dielectric grease. Does it leave anything behind on the metals after many years? I brought a small tube online & it was $$ to ship.

Some amazon reviewers say it has a 10year service life, others on some forums seem to say it will last the life of the wire.
JmanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric