Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 11:05   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41
ProSine 3.0 Inverter Repair

I have a ProSine 3.0 3000 watt Inverter. The brand is now made by Xantrex. I contacted the Phoenix area Xantrex repair facility and they said they don't do repairs on this unit anymore. Anyone know of a facility that repairs these old units or someone who would want one that has issues. I'm looking to get it fixed to sell or shipped to another cruiser who could use it and wants to work on it.

My specific unit operates fine as a charger and inverter under light loads. It ran our vacuum cleaner well and that was draining 60A from our batteries. When I try to run our 115VAC refrigeration compressor the unit faults out with error codes 207 and 0. I got the unit for free from a cruiser about to depart on the puddle jump, just bought a control panel to operate it.

I also have the ACS control panel so if anyone is interested in that it's up on eBay, or PM me.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:21   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: ProSine 3.0 Inverter Repair

"Error" code 0 means everything is operating normally. 207 means there is low DC voltage combined with an internal fault.

Check your battery voltage when under load as well as make sure the connections to the inverter are clean.

There isn't much inside to repair unless you are skilled at board-level and surface-mount components.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 00:26   #3

^ if the code is for low voltage. and it works with small loads but not big ones. seems to add up.

check you dc wiring. the inverter should be around 5' or less from batteries and run with 4/0 cable direct to battery (with fuse and own switch).
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
^ if the code is for low voltage. and it works with small loads but not big ones. seems to add up.

check you dc wiring. the inverter should be around 5' or less from batteries and run with 4/0 cable direct to battery (with fuse and own switch).
When I installed it I used 2/0 cable and a 300A inline fuse. Total run from the 400AH battery bank to inverter was less than 6 ft. Fellow I got the unit replaced his with a new one (used the same control panel) and then everything was OK. I'm thinking there may be some kind of internal resistance or corrosion on relays that causes the additional voltage drop. Oh well, it's got a bid on ebay so soon there will be a new owner to play with it.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:05   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I bid on it.. If I win, I'll have a go at repair..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:25   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

How big a load is the fridge? I ran a boat with a 110VAC Grunert system, that drew over 30 amps DC on startup. The only way it would work off the inverter is if I had both main engines running. Even then the DC voltage slowly dropped with two 100 amp rated alternators trying to keep up. Bottom line was that I only turned the fridge on when I was plugged into the dock or had the genset on.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, prosine