Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 19:40   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"
Prosine 2 Ground Fault

I installed a new Xantrex Prosine 2 on my boat early last season. It worked flawlessly until September, when ground faults started tripping the boat's master breaker. This correlated to closure of the Prosine's AC bypass relay. No problem if the ground return to the AC power source is lifted, but that's certainly not a safe solution. So far, the only response from Xantrex is that the AC power is "dirty" and the unit is shunting the excessive "dirt" to ground.

Well, I've had it powered at multiple marinas, from the boatyard power, and now on my workbench. Same problem everywhere but the workbench. I sampled the ground return current, finding limited residual noise at idle and around 2½ mA of 26 kHz switching noise when the unit is charging. But I also discovered a spike of ground current, when the bypass relay closes, approaching 1A. This is really short and only observable via a digital storage 'scope, but probably enough to trip the boat's GFCI protection. I e-mailed a complete set of DSO screen dumps to Xantrex, but no response so far.

Has anyone else had a ground fault issue with the Prosine 2?
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prosine