Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2021, 14:36   #1

Proper gauge wiring for inside courtesy lights

I purchased these lights from amazon that work fantastic when I touched them to a 9v battery however I was wondering what gauge wire you would use to connect multiple lights (probably 6) on the same line. Should I just use 22awg for the entire run?

See picture of light details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 17.33.38.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	243199  
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 15:44   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Proper gauge wiring for inside courtesy lights

Electrically speaking, 22AWG is suitable.

Mechanically speaking, you might find a larger gauge is more suitable (20 or 18) but this depends of the location, cable securing, termination types, insulation etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 16:24   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Brassmonkey,
We'd need the real specifications of the LED's (volts and amps per unit) and the round trip run of the wire to do a proper calculation.

Even though the pigtail is 22 AWG, the main trunk wire might need to be heavier as there will be 6x of something running through it if you wire 6 units on the same run.

Then there are recommendations for max voltage drop and minimum wire size by organizations like ABYC and USCG (in the USA).

If you know amps and round trip length you can look it up on a chart too.

I do agree that 'bigger' wires feel a bit better for routing and crimping.
Old 03-08-2021, 17:05   #4

We can make an educated guess at the power requirements of the proposed LEDS. From the OP's attachment, the lights are using three 2835 SMD LED each.

The 2835 LED uses about 0.06W at ~3V. Assuming a simple internal dropping resistor for 12V operation, the light will be using ~0.72W. Thus 6 lights will be using ~4.3W which at 12V, is ~360 mA.

Voltage drop will not an issue for LEDs on a sailboat and the OP notes they are 'fantastic' even at 9V.

Thus 22 AWG will be electrically suitable.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-08-2021, 17:39   #5

ABYC asks for a minimum of AWG#16, but that's mainly for the strength of the wire. They have recently looked with favour on smaller gauge wire as long as it's physically robust - eg a pair of AWG#22 wires with an overall jacket.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 18:04   #6

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

As an example, ordinary household type extension cords (zip cord) are 18 awg, I would think anything smaller would not be physically strong enough for boat wiring.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 19:16   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Wotty, thanks for the math. They make those 2835 LED chips in various power ratings. Seems like .06w and .2w are easy to see online. That is a 3x difference right there.

If the OP can find out the power consumption of one unit at 12.7v, the numbers could be added up and fed into the calculator below and the effects of wire length and voltage drop could be seen:

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wir...alculator.html
Old 03-08-2021, 19:38   #8

I do think we get hung up at times on physical strength and wire sizes for the mythical "marine" use.

Aviation (including helicopters) regularly use 20, 22 and 24 AWG wiring - miles of it!
Yes, the insulation is tougher but so are vibration levels.

I concede installation practices and general workmanship do vary however the point is skinny wire can be robustly mounted etc etc.
Old 03-08-2021, 21:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I do think we get hung up at times on physical strength and wire sizes for the mythical "marine" use.

Aviation (including helicopters) regularly use 20, 22 and 24 AWG wiring - miles of it!
Yes, the insulation is tougher but so are vibration levels.

I concede installation practices and general workmanship do vary however the point is skinny wire can be robustly mounted etc etc.

Agreed. It's not overspeccing the gauge because "marine", it's more the way marine wire is often pulled and run (by trained gorillas ). What little aviation wiring I've seen is well-bundled and protected.... certainly moreso than most boat wiring.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 00:55   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As noted, the smallest wire gauge size allowed by ABYC E-11, AC & DC Electrical Systems on Boats, is 16 AWG, [with some exceptions for 18 AWG], and using the app is more precise, than using the ABYC tables.

ABYC Wire Sizer App [$4.99]https://abycinc.org/page/wiresizer
And ➥ https://abycinc.org/news/370589/ABYC...Sizer-App-.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
I purchased these lights from amazon that work fantastic when I touched them to a 9v battery however I was wondering what gauge wire you would use to connect multiple lights (probably 6) on the same line. Should I just use 22awg for the entire run?

See picture of light details

The smallest power wire allowed in a boat under abyc is 16awg...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:59   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Follow the rules, 16 ga. I rewired our forward cabin with light gage for LEDs. Had to do it all again after the lightening hit. Nothing left of the small stuff but smoke trails and fused multi strand. Heavy wire survived.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, wiring